Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a D-Link model DAP-1522 which I would like to use as

Customer Question

I have a D-Link model DAP-1522 which I would like to use as a bridge to extend my wifi. I cannot configure or set it up. Please help
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pretty sure that the bridge mode is the one I want since I want the DAP-1522 to boost the wifi of my primary router.I want to setup the DAP-1522 so that I can use it wirelessly on my smartphone or laptop or via ethernet for my smartTV or laptop for a faster connection.Thank you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The general idea of setting up a router as a range extender for your main WiFi router's area of WiFi coverage, can be summed up in these particulars:

1. set it as a WiFi router too.

2. set it up largely the same as the main router - same SSID, same WEP or WPA or PSK or other wireless encryption type, and the same wireless passphrase (commonly known as a 'wireless password').

3. but, set it up with DHCP *disabled*, so that only the main router can supply DHCP service to devices. And, set it up with a fixed-IP address of its own, that is near the top of the main router's address range.

(For instance: suppose the main router has an IP Address, locally (to be found out by looking for the Default Gateway address of any computer connected to it) of

192.168.2.23

just to name a rather odd set of values. The '2' and the '23' are the crucial part.

The 'range' of the main router in this case, would be from

192.168.2.24

or

192.168.2.54

or some such. In which case, you should assign the range extender or secondary WiFi router, to a fixed IP address of

192.168.2.50

or

192.168.2.51

or some such.

Here's a vague guide, also to the general facts of range extender setup:

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.

And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should the Dap-1522 be set on AP 2.6Hz? My main router only has 2.4 Hz frequently band?My primary router (Home hub 1000) has IP of 192.168.2.1
Does this mean that the Dap-1522 IP address should be set choosing the manual option and at 192.168.2.2?I'm sorry I have tried to setup this extender and so confused between choosing the AP mode or Bridge modeAlso why do you have to set it up with the same SAID and Password ***** main router? How will I know which Network I'm using. The main reason I got the DAP-1522 was to boost the wifi signal since it's very weak in my room. The main router is in the living room and there are 3 walls between it and my room. My smartphone doesn't work most of the time due to the weak signal. Also I would like to be able to attach the DAP-1522 to my laptop, smartTV or media box via ethernet to have strong connection while streaming Netflix or other movies. So I thought I could have two Networks and choose which one I want to use.I read that you need to change the MAC address and so on ....is it possible to give me step by step instruction? I would really appreciate it. I have a feeling I messed up my primary routers wireless Internet cause my smart TV cam no longer find an Internet connection :(Please help!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do not set the range extender differently from the main router - if you want it to work - except for

A. setting it to disable DHCP

and

B. setting it to have a static IP address.

If you want it to work some the first time, you have to curb an impulse to set it up as ultra-efficient. In this sort of thing, you get it working first, then you refine it a bit (bit by bit) after that, when you have a working basis to go back to in case one settings change to improve it disables it altogether.

Set the IP of the DAP-1522, not to 192.168.2.2, but to something like

192.168.2.50

as I already said in my instructions. (If you're viewing this on a smartphone, it may be hard to read... let me know if so.)

AP Mode.

It *has* to be set up with the same SSID and wireless 'password' as the main router. Or it won't extend range for the main router, it will be its own WiFi AP.

You'll be using the same network, just with extended range. That's the whole point, right?

Try it, get it working, then we'll discuss the further reaches of possibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just disconnected power on my primary router because I was not getting any internet. Now it is working.My dap-1522 is disconnected.I have a MacBook pro and a Sony Vaio.Can you please give me step by step instructions?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Here's some instructions:

- don't use Quick Setup.

- connect a computer (e.g. the Vaio) to the D-Link with a cable. Disconnect from other router/primary router first, if not already disconnected, to avoid confusion!

- hold down the reset button on the D-Link, for 45 seconds or longer continuously.

- open a web browser, enter this address:

192.168.1.1

and press Enter. You should get a username-and-password *****

Enter

admin

for the username. Enter either

password

or else a blank, no entries, no characters, for the password.

- if that gets into the D-Link router's setup, don't use Quick Setup. Set the D-Link (as previously said) to all the same settings as the main router... except for

A. no DHCP, DHCP disabled on the D-Link's setup

B. fixed IP address on the D-Link, in upper range of the main router's IP addressing.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a problem at any point, just stop there, ask me, we'll get through it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the dap supposed to be in AP mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give step by step....I'm not tech savvy
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

AP mode, yes.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Here are some steps toward the task you need to do:

1. Have you connected the computer to the router box, by a network cable to one of its four common ports (numbered 1 through 4 on the router's case next to each port) ?

2. Have you determined the router's IP Address, and entered that address in the

Address:

bar of your web browser program and pressed RETURN ?

3. Have you gotten the prompt popup, for username and password, and entered

admin

for the username ?

4. Have you entered the correct password, and logged in to your router's setup utility?

5. If so, what do you see? (I don't know your router's brand, nor its model #. Tell me those, if you have gotten this far.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you mean router...do you mean my primary router or do you mean the DAP-1522?Also...no I don't know how to do any of these things which is why I asked for step by stepAlso my vaio isn't working so I'm working on my macbook airI need you to tell me not only what to do but also how to do it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to be able to connect my smartTV and possibly an android box via the ethernet to the DAP-1522PLEASE let me know if you can give step by step instruction or else opt me out. Let me know either way. Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I can't put it more step-by-step than I already have. I really cannot. You may have to have someone else do the steps for you.

The router box: the D-Link box.

I am gathering an impression that my instructions are not producing any progress, and since your computer is an Apple, I don't think offering Remote Service would do you much good. So I have Opted Out at this point (but can Opt In to the case, again, if you prefer, immediately or at any time, at your request.)

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Are you connecting the 1522 to your router with a network cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron,
No my primary router is in the living room. I would like to wirelessly connect the DAP-1522 which would be in my room in order to extend the wifi. I also would like to have the ability to add my smartTV, laptop or android box via ethernet to the DAP-1522. I'm guessing this would be the bridge mode? Thanks.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

My biggest hurdle is that you're using a Mac and I'm no expert on those.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can grab my vaio....I couldn't find the adapter before
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

When you get the laptop you'll need to connect to the dap with a network cable.

Set the switch on the dap to bridge mode.

Let me know when you have it hooked up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to connect the dap to my router like in the video?if i just have to connect the dap to my vaio then i can do it in my room. the primary router is in the living room
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Let's try it without being connected to the router first. Once you have the two connected you'll need to give the laptop a static IP address. Hold down the Windows logo key and press R. In the Run box type ncpa.cpl and click OK.

Right click on your ethernet icon and select Properties

In the open window select: Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IP v4) and click the Properties button.

Click "Use the following IP address". Use 192.168.0.49 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

and click OK.

Then open Internet explorer and type in http://192.168.0.50 or http://dlinkap

either of those should get you to the dlink login page

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how far the dap is from your router but it needs to be able to get the wireless signal from the router.

If it's too far away you'll have issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it went to drink login page
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. The username is: admin

Leave the password ***** empty.

Once you're logged in start the video at just over the 3 minute mark.

They give a good explanation.

Basically you're connecting the dap to your wireless at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you know your wireless password. You'll be asked for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I login to the Dlink page, it does not ask me to set a name and passwordIt just goes to select configuration method...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean it doesn't ask to set the device name or password ***** goes directly to select configuration method
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

That's fine. Keep going.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Do manual config like in the video

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The setup just asked for the wireless network and password ***** then it finished.But since I did not name my device...I don't know if its there
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Does the laptop have internet access while connected to the dap?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

OK. Connect something else to it and check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean connect another device like maybe my MAC via ethernet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be sure....when you asked to connect to the ethernet icon...you meant the Local Area Connection that shows two monitors and an ethernet wire?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If the laptop is connected to the dap via ethernet cable and it's getting internet access wirelessly through the router it sounds to me like it's working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I'm getting wireless signal even without connecting my MAC to the dap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has the same SSID as my wireless network
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Turn off wireless on the laptop. Open the Run box again. Right click the ethernet icon again and go back to the Internet Protocol Version 4 properties and select Obtain an IP address automatically and click OK.

With the laptop still connected to the dap with the network cable, restart it and check if it now has internet access.

If it does then everything is working.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

How's it going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not loading any webpage
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

We need to check if the laptop is getting an IP address. Open the Run box again. Type: cmd and click OK.

At the blinking prompt in the black window type: ipconfig and press Enter.

Scroll up to the top and under Ethernet Adapter check if it has an IPv4 address.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

What is it? If it starts with 169 it needs to be something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
192.168.2.10
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

That's excellent. It could only be getting that from your router.

Have you tried going to different websites like google or something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried google and a bunch of other websites....but it won't load the page
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

That's strange. In the black window at the prompt type: ping 192.168.2.1

You should get 4 replies with 0% packet loss

Then type: ping google.com

you should get the same response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do get that response
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

For both 192.168.2.1 and google.com?

If you're able to hit the router (192.168.2.1) and google.com

with 0% loss then you're connected to the internet. Try a different device connected to the dap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i turn the wifi off on my MAC and try it?Also does the DAP end up having the same SSID and pwd as my primary router since I didn't get to name it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I turned the wifi off on my MAC and connected it to the DAP...it said not connected to the internet
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by "name it"

Are you referring to the Netbios name they showed in the video?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah when they named it dlinkap
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

The netbios name needs to show something. If it showed dlinkap in the box that's fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that never came up on my setup wizard....
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

And these are what your ping results looked like (see attachment)

my router has a different IP address but your results should look the same

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

When you do the ipconfig command is 192.168.2.1 the number that shows for your Default Gateway?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Ok. open the browser and in the address bar type: http://192.168.2.1

and let me know if you hit your router login page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my VAIO, the page is still loading. But on my MAC, the router's login page comes up
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So you're hitting the router. Try this on the Vaio.

Open up the IPv4 properties again. Leave the IP address set to automatic.

Select Use the following DNS server addresses

and type in: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and click OK.

See if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No same thing....the page just keeps loading
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

What kind of router do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its Bell Home Hub 1000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bell is just the service provider
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Let me do some checking to see if the dap has compatibility requirements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I know this is getting old but we're so close, I hope. Let's put the dap in the same network.

You'll need to put the 192.168.0.249 and 255.255.255.0 numbers back on the ethernet adapter

for the vaio. Then log back in to the dap at 192.168.0.50

Once in the dap click Setup up at the top and then Network settings on the left

change the numbers to those in the attachment and save them.

Once you save them you'll be disconnected from the dap because it's now in the same network as the router.

Set the ethernet adapter to get an IP automatically and restart the laptop. It will get one from the router and you should be able to connect

back to the dap with it's new address.

I also haven't found anything that say the dap is incompatible with any routers.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Will you be available later on?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Is the dap working yet?