Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Linksys-- I bought the N300 wireless router several weeks

Customer Question
Hello Linksys-- I bought the N300...
Hello Linksys--
I bought the N300 wireless router several weeks ago, and I'm trying to hook it up now for a new laptop. Problem is, there's supposed to be a disc inside, but there's no disc. Can you guide me thru the installation, please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2015
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

How far along are you so far? Is the router already connected to your modem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm confused already. I was talking to Viet, now Byron has taken over? What's going on?

Hi. I'm not sure what happened but this is a new question. I'll opt out and Viet should see this and respond to you.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to get my router hooked up. It's not hooked up to the new computer yet. There was no disc in the box, so I want someone to guide me thru the whole process, please. Do you work with Viet?
Network Technician: Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. I do not see your previous question, but I'm Tech Viet. I will help you.

You do not need the disk to set up.

What's the exact model of your Linksys N300 router, such as E1200, WRT900AC, etc.?

What's the Internet model of your Internet modem?

Is your Toshiba laptop currently working or not?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

If you connect an Ethernet/network cable from modem to linksys router's Internet/WAN port, then connect another Ethernet/network cable from Toshiba laptop to any Ethernet/LAN port on the linksys router, then open Internet, then what happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** my Toshiba laptop is working, that's what I'm typing on.
The router is a Linksys N300 Wi-Fi E1200.
My modem is a Motorola, not sure of the model #.

You're welcome. Can you please check at the back/bottom of the Motorola modem device for any model of it?

By the way, please confirm that your Toshiba laptop has windows xp (or windows vista or 7 or 8 or 10)?

Also, did you set up this Linksys E1200 router previously? Or is this the first time you are trying to set it up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I can't pay the $20 for phone, so please remove that distraction.
The motorola is the Surfboard, model #SB6121.
My Toshiba laptop runs WindowsXP.

Thank you. There is no need for phone call; I will help you here.

Did you set up this Linksys E1200 router previously? Or is this the first time you are trying to set it up?

And can you please check at the back/bottom of your Linksys E1200 for the version, such as E1200 v1.0 or E1200 v2.0 or E1200 v2.2, etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've never had the router set up before, it's brand new, to go with my new Acer Chrome laptop.

Thank you. Can you please check at the back/bottom of your Linksys E1200 for the version, such as E1200 v1.0 or E1200 v2.0 or E1200 v2.2, etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
E1200 -NP

Thank you. Please click on the website below on the Toshiba laptop:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148523

, then there, click on Hardware version 2.2

, then click on Download below E1200 Windows Linksys Connect Setup Software

, and install it, and follow instructions during the on-screen instructions.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, I see it says E1200, V2 on the bottom of the router itself. (E1200-NP was on the box).

Thank you.

- Please click on the Linksys website below on the Toshiba laptop:

, then there, click on Hardware version 2.0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** do that. Are you done then, or waiting around?

You're welcome. I will stay here with you. Please let me know how it goes after trying. You can keep this web page open. If you lose me, you can get back to me via the email message from JustAnswer / Viet.

Note: If there is issue, you can connect the laptop back to the Motorola modem to get the internet back and get back to me again.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks! I think I'll also have to hook up my printer now.

You're welcome. You can set up the printer later.

Please follow my steps to set up the router first. Thank you.

Steps to set up Linksys router:

- Click on the website below on the Toshiba laptop:

Note: download file name is called LinksysConnect....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm having problems, Viet. I can't find the ID/pass-code on this wireless router. And when I try to go online with the new Acer Chrome laptop, I lose the connection on the Toshiba, so neither one worked. Help!

Sorry, do you have 2 ethernet/network cables? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll look for another ethernet cable. One minute.....

ok, can you connect the Ethernet/network cable from modem to linksys' Internet/WAN port, and connect the other ethernet/network cable from toshiba laptop to Linksys' LAN/Ethernet port, does internet work on toshiba laptop?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow, I'm confused about that! Is this just a test? Won't I lose my internet connection on the Toshiba again?Ultimately, I want to remove the Toshiba to another room and use it off-line, so I don't want the 2 computers hooked together.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Viet-- are you there?

Sorry, I'm here. This is just temporarily to set up the router. Wait. Thank you.

Just do these steps temporarily for now:

1. Connect one Ethernet/network cable from modem to Linksys' Internet/WAN port,

2. Connect another ethernet/network cable from Toshiba laptop to any LAN/Ethernet port on the Linksys.

3. Wait a bit, then does internet work on the Toshiba laptop or not?

(If no, you can just re-connect the laptop back to Motorola modem, so you will never lose internet access.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wait, I should unplug the ethernet cable that goes into my Toshiba, and plug it into the wireless unit? I'll lose my connection.

Do you have one or two Ethernet cables? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have two ethernet cables, but I'm reluctant to unplug one from the Toshiba. I'll lose the connection like I did an hour ago. But if I understand you correctly, that's what I'll do.

Yes, please follow my steps. Remember that if you lose Internet connection, you can always re-plug the laptop back to the modem to get internet access again. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I tried it, but I couldn't connect. I had the modem going into the yellow port on the Linksys, and the Toshiba laptop going into one of the other ports. It didn't work.

Please try this:

1. With power connected to Linksys, press and hold the small reset button at the back/bottom of the linksys for about 10 to 15 seconds

2. Wait a few minutes.

3. Connect modem to linksys' yellow port

4. Click on wireless icon on laptop and connect to linksys network name

5. click on the website below to set up linksys, or open / run the LinksysConnect program that you've downloaded previously.

http://192.168.1.1

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Viet-- I see the message above about the phone, but I haven't received a call. It's my home phone, so it doesn't receive any texts.

I'm sorry. I do live online support. Can I provide written instructions here?

- Please try this:

2. Wait a few minutes.

http://192.168.1.1

- Did you download / run the Linksysconnect program from the website I've provided previously to you yet?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That sounds time-consuming, and I have to be up at 5am. I'll have to pick this up again tomorrow, okay?

I'm sorry. Yes, we can continue tomorrow. When can you be available tomorrow? What time zone are you in?

By the way, are you able to download the LinksysConnect program from the website I've provided?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Central Time Zone here. I'll be home by 7:30 or 8pm, probably. I drive a FedEx route, so I'm not exactly sure.
I downloaded the program, but as I mentioned earlier, it's on the Toshiba and needs to be on the Acer Chrome, right? Or is it just for instructions?

It's just for instructions only. I will provide some more steps you can try tomorrow. OK. Please reply back tomorrow to continue. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thank you!

You're welcome. Thank you for your patience.

Please try the following tomorrow:

STEP 1: Reset Linksys E1200 router:

1. Plug Linksys router to power and make sure router's light(s) is on.

2. Use a pin or paperclip to push and hold the tiny Reset button at the bottom of the router for about 15 seconds.

; please click on the website below that contains the image for the location of the reset button on the router:

http://cache-www.linksys.com/support/images/KB4008-002_EN_v13.PNG

STEP 2: Download / install the Linksys Connect program:

1. On the Toshiba laptop, click on the website below:

, then click on Download under "E1200 V2 Windows Linksys Connect Setup Software"

, then download / save it.

; (if needed, you can download / save directly at the website http://tinyurl.com/q35w9m8)

Note: the download file name is called LinksysConnect.E1200...

2. Once downloading is done, open the downloaded file LinksysConnect.E1200... to install it

3. Follow the on-screen instructions during installation in order to set up the extender.

- If needed, you can click on the website below for illustrations:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140176

; scroll down at that website and see starting Step 7.

- If installation setup goes through successfully, then you should be able to connect both the Toshiba laptop and the Acer laptop to Wi-Fi/wireless for

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Viet--
I got home from work kind of late, and I'm too tired to finish this project tonight.
Are you working other evenings this week?

Yes, I'm available almost every evening. Please try my suggestions tomorrow, then let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Viet-- I'm too tired to work on this tonight (my job is so demanding), but I plan to finish it a.s.a.p. I will give you a great rating when it's done.
Thanks for your patience--
Todd

You're welcome. Don't worry about it; please take your time. Whenever you have time, please try my suggestion, then let me know, so I can help further as needed. Thank you.

Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech