Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My MG6620 printer often does not work, saying it cannot find

Customer Question

My MG6620 printer often does not work, saying it cannot find the printer or printer not connected. After I go through the network diagnostics and answer all the questions, it tells me to restart my device. It prints after I restart my laptop. But, the next day it sometimes prints or sometimes makes me through the whole process again. What is wrong?
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are having these issues, My name Is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with this issue. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an Apple Air, about 2 years old. I recently upgraded to the El Capitan operating system.
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

Alright that gives us a starting point. El Capitan has a few bugs, and many customers are having a range of printer related issues. When you upgraded to the El capitan OS did you check to see if their was a software driver update for the MG6620? Not running the latest driver software can cause this issue with many printers on this OS. If not then that will be our next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked that about 2 weeks ago, and upgraded. I have noticed lately that sometimes my searches on Safari take a long time. I look up my wifi symbol and it jumps from "Looking for networks" to "on" and back. Could that be the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

That absolutely could be the issue. Let me look into this and I'll be back with you shortly.

Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

What type of wireless router are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is one provided by the cable company. I am not sure which device is the router, but one device is called "Netgear" and the other device is called "Cisco DPC3010".
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

THe Cisco is a cable modem, your router will be the Netgear. We need to check and see if the Netgear router has the latest firmware.

Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

When would be a good time for me to walk you through this Procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason, the printer is working now, so lets wait until it stops printing. I that okay?
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

We can do that. I try to check in at least once or twice per day if I have pending work so I'll keep my eyes open for your post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer stopped working again, saying it could not find printer. The wifi says "looking for network", then "on". I went through the Canon"s diagnostics, and at the end, it said restart computer. I did that and the printer then printed stuff it would not print yesterday!
Expert:  ITguy1978 replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check on your status. Has the issue resolved itself?