Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am suddenly having an issue with wirelessly connecting to

Customer Question
the internet. I have a...
I am suddenly having an issue with wirelessly connecting to the internet. I have a VoiP also that is working fine The VoiP connects directly to the modem and then the VoiP box connects to the wireless router. I tried connecting modem directly to router and still no luck. have to use old laptop to connect directly to modem but now cannot figure out how to troubleshoot the wireless router, its not connecting to the IP address and I only have one port and its in use to connect to the internet ...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
11/30/2015
Network Technician: Michael Hannigan, Network Architect replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect

Hello. My name is***** can assist you with your question.

What has happened, at least from plugging in your laptop directly to the modem, is that the switches of your provider have conflicting information as to what device is connected directly to the modem. Normally, only one device may be connected to your modem. If that device is changed at some point, it can take as long as 48 hours for those hardware entries to be purged from there switches. This is something that they actually do intentionally to provide security and ensure that someone else cannot plug into your modem without your knowledge. There are 2 things you can do to correct the issue – either call your provider and ask them to reset the local switch in your area – they can send the signal out to do that – the other thing you can do is leave your modem and router unplugged overnight. If you do the latter, there is no guarantee that it will correct the problem, but it usually does. I'm assuming that it started working with your laptop directly connected – if that's the case, your laptops hardware address is the one that is in the switch and you will not be able to get the router to connect right now – and that has the potential to drive you in circles if you're not aware of the limitation. So the laptop being plugged in is actually preventing you from getting the Router working with the modem. The easiest way to rectify it if You are going out or something for a while is just one plug it and then make sure when you plug the modem back in the only thing you plug into it is the router. I would also generally suggest that you have your VoIP box plugged into the router and have the router be the device that is connected directly to your modem. That is the most common configuration unless you have a reason to do otherwise. That will give you the most stable connection and the best efficiency from your network connection.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect