Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Brookstone rover 2.0. Is there anyway to bridge the wifi the

Customer Question
actual tank makes to my...
Brookstone rover 2.0. Is there anyway to bridge the wifi the actual tank makes to my home router so i can control it from work!!! thanks
have been looking everywhere!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
11/17/2015
Network Technician: Dan, Network Administrator replied 2 years ago
Dan, Network Administrator

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Have you considered trying TeamViewer? With that, you could remotely connect to whatever device you are using to control the rover from any computer or smart phone.

I have not i was wondering if there is way to just port foward the settings from the AP to my router?

I think that would make it harder than it needs to be. If you use TeamViewer, as long as you have some type of network connection, you should have control of the rover.

this think i have its a wireless spy tank. It creates its own network. I have an iphone app that i control it with. I want that spy tank instead to work off my router so i can controll the tank from home with the app? I know theres a way to do it just don't know it!
yeah but how do i use team viewer to control the app

If you install TeamViewer on the iphone, that gives you a remote link just as if you were holding the iphone in your hand no matter where you are.

You will actually see the iphone desktop on the computer you connect to it from.

i woudl have to pay for this service right? So you dont' think its possible have the brookstone AP to access my home router?

TeamViewer if a free app. Since the rover is controlled by an app written for iphone and android, I don't see any way to control it without one or the other of them being used for a link.

It does look like a fun device though!!

Have you had a chance to check out TeamViewer?

Hi! im just about to take a look at it so how should i do this. Just download the team viewer then link it to my phone or to my actual desktop?
Does this make sense to you. How easy would this be?Is there any chance to get the rover work behind internet connection? The IOS app is made to work on a ad-hoc wifi connection, I wonder if is that the only way to control the unit…ntc490
November 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm Reply
The rover creates an Access Point you must connect to with Wifi. If you bridged a connection to the Rover AP to your LAN and then punched a hole through your firewall (hopefully you have one) it would be possible, but it’s going to require some moderate know-how.

You control the rover now from the iphone without doing anything other than installing the app right?

Go to this LINK and you will see what I am talking about for your iphone.

Hi sorry yes I jut downloaded the app and control it with phone I have team viewer and it's asking me for my partners Id?

Now locate TeamViewer Quick Support from your app store and install it on your phone. It will have an ID number attached to it. That is the number you will need to enter into TeamViewer from your computer. Follow the on screen prompts then let me know.

Ok I have it downloaded on my computer and iPhone I got the number from quick support app
Also I have to bring my phone to work with me . So I could leave an iPad at home to use? So from my computer at work I would log into the iPad ? Would I need to leave the iPad turned on to access it? Also how would I access the wifi network for rover if I'm on my network at my home ?

Sorry for the delay. You can access TeamViewer regardless of where you are. Think of it like a long extension of your arm. You are at work and are reaching out and holding your ipad and controlling it as though you were setting right in the room with it.

As long as the ipad is on, you will have a connection, so yes you will leave it on.

Ok so tomorrow I will leave my iPad on with team viewer installed and the rover app then at work I will remote log in and be able to access my iPad so I can then switch it to access the rovers wifi to control the tank but then won't I loose the team viewer abilility?

No. Once you see how it works it will all make sense to you. If possible, just try remoting in now and you can see what it can do. I use it just to clean up some of the junk on my phone so I don't have to do it using the small touch screen. That way I have a keyboard and mouse I can use to manipulate files on my phone.

I will be off line for a few minutes, so if you have more questions, just post them and I will respond as soon as I come back.

Ok thx Dan I was'nt able to try it today but tommorrow im gonna set it up and will let you know thx!

Please do, I will be anxious to hear how you come out.

I'm trying to remote login to my iphone right now at work. SO my phone is on 4g and my computer at work is trying to log in to my phone. I have logged in but i don't see anywhere to control my phone on the team viewer desktop app on my computer?

Have you decided to use your ipad rather than your iphone at home?

My apologies as I forgot about the security measures included for the smart phones. The only way to connect to a phone is to have someone actually accept the remote connection when it is requested by the remote operator. It is a different story however when using the full version of TeamViewer on either a Mac or PC. On a computer or tablet, you can set TeamViewer to what is called unattended access. As long as your computer or tablet is powered up and running, you will be able to remote into it. If you want to play now and have anyone around where your iphone is, just have them watch it while you try to access it and when the prompt appears, they can tap accept and that will get you right in. Again, sorry for the confusion!

no prob this is confusing stuff! I'm gonna use my ipad! So i will leave my ipad running connected to my home internet.Today at work i remote logged in to my iphone just to see how it works. It asked me for remote access on my phone i accepted it but on my desktop i don't see a way to control it. This is what i see.

There are some phones you have to purchase the license version for and others you don't. I can't figure that out, but that screen shot is one of the restricted versions. When you actually have full access, you would see your phone's desktop right from your computer and could then pick and choose whatever app you wanted to run. Some folks have hacked their iphones and have TeamViewer working but that is another story. If you go to the ipad, you won't have any problem and you can use the unattended feature as well.

Just checking in to see if you had a chance to work with your ipad? Let me know how things are going.

Hey Dan I tried it this morning i had my ipad on at home this morning connected to my home wifi. WHen i got to work i tried to remote log in and it said couldn't find connection...i know my ipad was on cause i had my girlfriend turn it on and she was watching the ipad as i tried to log in ... any ideas?

Did you install the full version of TeamViewer on the ipad? If so, you will need to set it up for unattended access.

ah im not sure! i will have to check when i get home!

Please do. Once you have that setup, then you should be okay. I can help walk you through it if you need assistance.

great thx!

One more thought. You may have to jailbreak your ipad to get full functionality.

how tough is that! i always wanted to do that ha

Just check the link I sent.

awesome thx i also may need to update my ios for my ipad maybe thats it if not im gonna jailbreak it and let you know tomm! thx

Okay, let me know.

Network Technician: Dan, Network Administrator replied 1 year ago

Just checking in to see how you came out?

Dan, Network Administrator