Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am having trouble setting up my TV on my wireless network,

Customer Question
which is fine. I need...
I am having trouble setting up my TV on my wireless network, which is fine. I need the IP address of my Sony so I can manually set it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
11/7/2015
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 2 years ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

How far is the tv from the router?
Are you getting a specific error message?
Typically you get an IP from the router and enter into it into the sony, not the other way around.

15 to 20 feet.
No error message, just tells me that the connection failed
I thought that each device (computer, printer, TV) has it's own IP address
The info I got said that if the IP address starts with 169 its wrong. The IP I got started with 169.

No they do not, they are assigned an ip address automatically by the router.

If the wifi isn't working, it is often because either the tvs internal wifi adapter has failed (very common), or the firmware needs to be updated.

If close enough, run a wired lan/ethernet cable from tv to router, and see if you can connect that way.

This will usually allow the tv to update and restore functionality of the wifi adapter when you go back to it.

Does the info I got from Sony help? -the 169 info

It means it is not picking up a valid IP address,

there are many possible causes of that though

You can try unplugging both the tv and the router 60+ seconds to reboot, then try again

but if you have the ability to do the ethernet, either as a long term solution or as a temporary test, that would be more helpful at this point.

There isn't an internal wifi adapter the adapter is plugged into a USB port. I'll see if my LAN cable is long enough

Wifi adapters fail, internal or external, and could easily be the cause of this on a 4 year old tv.

Let me know if you can get a normal (usually starting with 192.) ip via wired

LAN cable is too short, but I disconnected another one and I'm trying that one
that one is about 3 feet short
how do I get the IP address from the router.
I have to leave in 15 minutes. Can you solve the problem by then or can you call me tomorrow

You don't "get" one from the router.

The tv picks on up automatically when it successfully negotiates a connection. Can you move the tv (or the router) a bit closer?

I'll work with you here for now or we can talk tomorrow too, yes.

We can set up a static IP, where the router assigns or reserves a specific ip number for the tv.

That is done in the router configuration though and can be a bit complicated, but I can do it for you remotely if needed.

I don't think that will help. Our laptop further away than the TV gets connected fine.

Again, other devices have nothing at all to do with this, as it could very well be the wifi adapter for the tv that is faulty. It wouldn't matter what settings were used in that case, and that is why I'm asking you to test the wired connection if possible.

If that will solve the problem, sure

Well lets try the wired first, if you can. I'm happy to do the remote process, but don't need to cost you more time/money in doing that if it isn't necessary just yet.

I have to leave. How do I contact you tdomorrow?
I'll reboot the tv and router before I call you tomorrow.
I'm sorry but I must leave. Please email with contact info. We'll continue tomorrow

I can't email you directly, we communicate here.

Bookmark/favorite this page and follow up with me tomorrow.

If you want to call or do the remote, you'll need to accept that offer i sent.

Hi NathanI'm back now

Any luck with the ethernet connection?

I turned off both router and TV for a couple of minutes. The TV saw the network but again showed local and internet both failed.
As far as a wired connection is concerned, my LAN cable was about 3 feet too short.

Did you try the wired?

You can't move the router or the tv a bit closer? Or use a longer cord temporarily between modem and router to get it closer?

I'm trying to disconnect the router and move it.

Thanks

ok the tv and router are connected. But it cost a connection to the computer. so I cant talk to you and at the same time as the tv is on the network.

That's fine, this can be temporary.

With the tv connected to the lan, did it pick up a local and internet connection successfully?

it was successful. Please understand that any time I must do something at the TV I'll have to disconnect from you

Understood.

Leave it connected for now, then go into the setup menu and look for software update and run that.

When done, try to connect on wifi and let me know what happens.

ok

How does that work?

WiFi connection failed: Wireless device on TV: Found, local connection failed; internet connection failed

That means the wifi adapter is bad.

You could replace it, but they are expensive and prone to failure. The next one will die eventually too.

You have 2 other options that would be better:
Keep it wired, just with a longer ethernet cable, which will always be faster and more reliable than wifi: http://amzn.to/1kEpL7u

or use an external wifi bridge device or powerline adapter: http://amzn.to/1kEpAcf

which is better and why? Which would you use
The wired connection is really not really practical. room to room, have to go through a wall, etc.
Thanks for your help.

I would use wired, if possible. Can you drill a 1/2" hole through the wall to pass it through?

Direct wired is cheaper and always the most reliable.

The powerline adapter is next best

followed by wifi.

If you don't want to wire it up, get the powerline adapter, it is still half the price of a new wifi adapter and doesn't need any special configuration.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, System Administrator