Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My ISP, Frontier Communications, shut down by internet

Customer Question
HI, My ISP, Frontier Communications...
HI, My ISP, Frontier Communications, shut down by internet connection yesterday (writing this from work) for a TOS violation. They said it was due to malware; after I scanned my system and removed a virus and Trojan, they activated my internet again. However,
I was still not able to access the internet, despite repeated attempts at power cycling and other measures. The last CSR I talked to said that when Frontier shuts down your internet, they always have to come to your residence to fix the problem. Does that
sound legitimate? Further, I am still able to watch and record television via my external Haupauge TV tuner. How is that possible, and what does it tell you? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
11/4/2015
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How can you tell that your internet has been activated again? by lights on the modem plus the assurance of Frontier?

Was the CSR who said they had to come to your residence, a CSR of Frontier themselves? if so, you may have to believe them when they say their policy is such-and-such.

As for watching and recording TV via a Hauppauge tuner... that means that your computer is functioning, I think, unless the Hauppauge tuner is an internet TV tuner rather than the more usual TV-tuner-into-computer arrangement (which of course, needs a cable/satellite/antenna TV signal... is your TV from Frontier?)

I had a senior tech solved the problem over the phone last night; he new what a dozen other did not. So not home visit required although ordered by one CSR and told required by another!
Perhaps you can answer this: I just ordered a new external hard drive, the WD 3TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN, which has password ***** with hardware encryption> I seem to recall a past external hard drive with password, and my PC would only allow on external hard drive to have a password. In fact, I think it caused me problems for a while when I tried to password ***** both. Any knowledge of this? When I get the new external hard drive, should I refuse the password ***** option since I already have another external hard drive password ***** or is this not necessary, or is there a workaround. Please refer to another specialist if outside of you area of expertise Thanks.

Well, the answer to the new question depends upon whether you are running Windows or MAC OS X / Apple on your computer. Also it depends upon what sort of prompt or insistence or message you receive, what the window title is, and that sort of thing.

To 'only allow an external hard drive with a password', sounds a bit odd. It might be (if that is an Access password, rather than a file-encryption password) that you have an option in the BIOS Setup enabled, like this one:

see image link

so you might want to go into the BIOS Setup and check on whether an option like that is enabled - touching nothing else, of course, in the way of BIOS Setup options, and changing nothing or Exit Without Saving if you change something and don't know how to change it back to the original value.

If your C: Hard disk does not demand a hard disk password, then that option is almost certainly not enabled.

I run Windows 7; I seem to recall when had a second external hard drive where I could install a password, it created conflicts when I installed it with the existing external hard drive that also have a password. Can you not have two with passwords?

As for whether one can have two hard disks with passwords, that depends very much upon what software comes up when the first hard disk with password ***** been connected and is accessible or is about to be accessible.

What software comes up, can be told by the title of the window that prompts for the password, or similar window that appears when the hard disk with password ***** just been connected.

Russell H., Internet and LAN