Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Ok so i am having an issue where the internet will

Customer Question

ok so i am having an issue where the internet will experience "hiccups". disconnect and come right back on. yellow ! over the wifi symbol on the system tray and say limited connectivity. i can wait or reconnect and issue resolved but its annoying as it happens like 2-3 times per hour. i have updated the firmware on my router. i then tried other devices connect to my router and have no issues before or after the firmware update. router is a netgear WNR2000v2. OS is windows 7 64 bit. so its not an ISP issue or a router issue cause its only happening on my desktop. i updated the driver on my ASUS wireless adapter USB-AC56 after i completely uninstalled the driver rebooted and installed the latest version. theres no viruses/malware/adware or anything malicious that my software picks up. i then went to best buy and bought a new wireless adapter N300 netgear and set that up. before i ran a traceroute and was getting 15 ms low end high end was around 35 with one being around 54. now im getting quiet a few that are 275, 542, 750 high end a few 22, 17, 47 areas. and it just did it again. not sure whats going on but its isolated to my computer.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today. I have read your write-up, and understand that you are well versed in home networking, so I will try not to ask you questions, or question your technical abilities. All of the things I am going to suggest are things I would try even after having done the things you have described. Some of them may seem repetitive or things you have already done, but I will be looking for one specific difference, so please know I have read your report.

I know you have "ruled out" your router, but there are a couple of things I may want to try that are router-related. First of all, can you please describe what kind of internet service you have and how your router is connected to it: i.e. is the internet modem and router one unit, or is it possible to connect directly to the modem and take the router out of the loop? Also, is your computer close enough to your router that you could connect via an ethernet cable from the router to the computer, thus taking the wireless out of the loop. Please let me know if you can do, or if you already have done this and we will proceed.

Gary