Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a wnr2000 router and I cannot access it.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
9/24/2015
Network Technician: Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
I'm sorry about the issue. Were you able to access it previously?
Is there any error or message?
Are you looking for the Wi-Fi/wireless password?
Do you have a laptop/wireless computer that is currently able to connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, or Mac?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
I'm running windows 8.1. Nothing can connect to the router. I have read the manual, followed procedures, reset the router multiple times and cannot access it. When I run ipconfig or ipconfig /all, I should see the device listed as the default gateway but the default gateway line is always blank when I run either command. routerlogin.net and .com don't work nor does 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and I've tried everything without success. I'm also running mcafee. Years ago, I had a verizon tech help me access the router but I disconnected it and now I'm on slime warnout (time warner) cable.
Does the internet work when you connect both the modem and the computer to the router?
With the power cord connected to the router, i.e., the router is powered on, did you press and hold the factory Reset button at the back of the netgear router for about 12 seconds?
What exactly happens when you click on the website below?
http://192.168.1.1
, does it show anything?
Also, do you have another computer to try?
Please let me know. Thank you.
I have not been able to access this particular router - ever. Yes, the error messages are (from the browser) page is not available, and from the network, the error message is "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration"
The Internet does work on the computer when it's connected straight to the modem right?
Please make sure you did this: With the power cord connected to the router, i.e., the router is powered on, did you press and hold the factory Reset button at the back of the netgear router for about 12 seconds.
Next, click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver if shown). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall.
Then, connect modem to router's internet / WAN port, and connect computer to the router's LAN (#1) port
, then click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt
Then restart the computer, then see if you can go to the website below:
http://192.168.1.1/
Please let me know. Thank you.
I tried that in regular mode and safe mode and it did not work. What do you suggest?
I still cannot access the router. Do you have any other suggestions?
I'm sorry, the router may be bad. Do you have another laptop or desktop computer to try? Thank you.
The router is not bad, I know because I also have a Belkin router that I could get into but I did a factory reset on the Belkin router and I can no longer get into the Belkin router now. There is something going on with my computer that is not allowing me to access the router and that is why I contacted you folks. I hope we can solve this issue or I will have to request a refund. Thank you and please try to help me resolve this issue.
I'm sorry, have you tried accessing the router's IP address / website with different browsers?
How do know the Belkin router is working? Do you mean the Internet works when the modem and computer are connected to the Belkin router?
Do you have another computer or tablet or smartphone to try?
Thank you.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer