How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Stevens Your Own Question
A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Category: Networking
Satisfied Customers: 1557
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
Type Your Networking Question Here...
A. Stevens is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have windows server 2012 running on a server computer on

Customer Question

I have windows server 2012 running on a server computer on our network. I want two off-site people to login to use an application that runs there, so I purchased 5 user licenses. I also purchased 5 remote desktop licenses. Now, I see it's not a good idea
to have people logging directly onto the server, so I should have another computer, also running windows server 2012 as the login machine for these outside users. Do I need another 5 license pack for them or does the first pack carry over? Also, do I need
another*****pack for the login machine or do those carry over?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! It depends on how you have the users set up. Do you have an Active Directory domain in place on the Server 2012 machine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do. There are 2 DCs on our network and that is one of them. And i installed 5 licenses on that machine. And I installed 5 remote desktop licenses on that machine.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

So if the users are accessing via their AD account to any machine on the same domain you wouldn't need to have a duplicate license on the 2nd machine, it would carry over

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to help you today.
If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the stars above would be greatly appreciated.
If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here.
Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unclear. Is that true of BOTH the server licenses AND the RD licenses?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, it is true of the Server CAL but not the RD CAL. But since you users will not be accessing the main server anymore directly, you would only need to transfer the RD CAL's to the new machine you are planning to setup for access.