Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How to connect netis pe6108g to cisco rv130. I beliebe I

Customer Question
understand physically but when I...
how to connect netis pe6108g to cisco rv130. I beliebe I understand physically but when I connect with a cable there is no activity.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/19/2015
Network Technician: Drew, Network Specialist replied 2 years ago
Drew
Drew, Network Specialist

Hi. When you say there's no activity, do you get link lights? If no link lights, have you enabled the ports on the RV130?

Cheers,

Drew

I'm not sure how you would call without a
I'm not sure how
Correct no lights on either

Hi. Unfortunately I'm not able to do a phone call at this time. However I am willing to see if I can look up the information for you. Would you like me to try? Or would you rather I opt out and open this up to other experts?

Hi Drew,
Whatever you think best as I would really like to have this working later this afternoon.
Thanks, Marty
I have the papers however I simply do not understand much of the vocabulary.
Can I call you? You seemed to hit on a thought I had but am unable implement it.

OK, I'll take a quick look and see if ports have to be enabled on the RV130 like they do on most Cisco devices. If I can't find anything helpful, I'll opt out and open this up. Please give me a few minutes.

Thanks
I am able to use a laptop on LAN ports 1-4 but not the switch

Oh, OK. Well that suggests the Cisco ports are activated. I'm going to take a quick look at the switch documentation. Is it a managed switch?

It is not a managed switch.Cisco Router: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/datasheet-c78-731521.htmlNetsts Switch: http://www.netis-systems.com/en/products/PoE-Switch/942.html#.Vf2ILt9VhBc

It appears it's an unmanaged switch. Maybe the auto negotiate isn't negotiating properly. Here's one thing to try:

On the Cisco, navigate to Networking > Port Management. Review settings for the port(s) you will use for your switches. If Auto Negotiation is not selected, please select it and save. Then see if that resolves the issue. If it is selected, try selecting 100 mbps/full. I know it's a gig switch but if selecting something specific gets it to connect, then you know there is an issue with auto negotiation.

I will try that
I was playing with those settings earlier they were on Auto Negotiation I tried 10. I have changed the 4 to 100/full. What is Jumbo and Flow Control in the same menu for?
I moved the PC from port 1 to 4 and the port mgmt showed the 100mb move to 4

Jumbo is a specification for sending frames that exceed the typical 1500ish byte packet size. You do not need Jumbo frames. I'm not sure what exactly how the flow control works. I'm sure you've seen this but from the manual:

Flow control is the process of managing the rate of data transmission between two nodes to prevent a fast sender from outrunning a slow receiver. It provides a mechanism for the receiver to control the transmission speed, so that the receiving node is not overwhelmed with data from the transmitting node

You could try enabling flow control to see if it helps although I doubt it will. After I was finished experimenting, I'd leave it off unless I knew I needed it.

Do you happen to have any other "non Netis" switches you could try connecting? This is just to try an eliminate some incompatibility issue between the Netis switches and Cisco.

So when you moved it, did you get link lights and a connection?

The computer move affected the port lights on the cisco router yes.I will try another switch

OK. When all is said and done, please remember to reset the ports on the Cisco to auto negotiation.

I'm guessing there's some compatibility issue between Netis and Cisco. If so, your remedy is to either reach out to tech support from each vendor or return the Netis switches for another brand that is compatible.

The only switch I have is the one we are communicating through

If you use it to test, you can reconnect to this chat when finished.

It does light each port on the cisco router. However I need the PoE feature of the Netis PE6108G. Will another tech be working on this with me?

I will opt out and open this up to other experts. Sorry I don't have any better answers. At this point I believe there is some compatibility issue with the Netis switches and the Cisco RV130 as everything else seems to work OK with the Cisco RV130. However other experts may have come across this before and can either confirm my suspicions or offer some additional things to try.

Cheers,

Drew

Hi, I'm just checking in. I'm sorry no other expert had any further ideas. Did you have a chance to try a non-Netis switch and see if it works? I understand you need the PoE of the Netis but if another switch works, then that supports my theory that the Netis switch is not compatible with the Cisco RV130. I know that won't be good news but at least it will give you some options for solving your issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Drew

Network Technician: Seth Merrick explains, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Seth Merrick explains
Seth Merrick explains, Computer Expert

Hi Marty, just a quick question/suggestion: Have you considered contacting either Cisco and/or Netis technical support? They might have some better insight into what is going on (as these are their products).

If you a) have free tech support with them, and/or b) can get both of them on the line in a conference call together (it's the sort of thing I've actually done before, getting two different vendors' support engineers to speak with each other)...

... that might be your most effective probability of successfully resolving this issue, and perhaps more quickly than you might otherwise.

Keep us posted!

Seth Merrick explains
Seth Merrick explains
Seth Merrick explains, Computer Expert