Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

Plex: My Roku streaming stick cannot connect to my Plex

Customer Question

Plex:
My Roku streaming stick cannot connect to my Plex media server on my laptop. I get the message on my Roku when trying to connect: computer offline . unreachable.
What is wrong?
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can someone respond to my question?!
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** can help you with your question.

- Try disabling your Antivirus/Security Software.....If you happen to have Avast or Karspesky Software, I would suggest to temporarily remove it while you try the connectivity again. Security software is known to cause these type of issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run Vipre Internet Security on my laptop and I removed it and Plex worked perfectly. I tried to have Vipre LEARN this network in the firewall portion and it still does not let the traffic pass thru.

the since the learned failed, you may have to put this in manually. You can put an exception for the program into the firewall manually. Here are the steps

1. Open the VIPRE User Interface
  2. Open the Firewall Settings windows by clicking Settings next to the firewall section
  3. Click the Exceptions button and click the Add button
  4. Enter the path you identified from the target field
  5. Select Allow for Trusted Inbound and Outbound. You can do the same for Not-trusted, but it is recommended to set this to Prompt
  6. Click OK
  7. Continue to make port exceptions if necessary by clicking the Ports tab and clickAdd...
  8. Enter a name for the rule
  9. Click browse and navigate to the executable or paste the path to the executable in theApplication field
  10. Select the Port drop down and enter the port
  11. Select the Protocol (TCP or UDP)
  12. Click OK

The Roku player should only be using ports 80 and 443.