Drew
Drew, Network Specialist
Experience:  Using 30+ years of experience to help you get it working.
68433724

I have a new Amazon Fire Stick plugged into my TV. I have a

Customer Question

I have a new Amazon Fire Stick plugged into my TV. I have a MAC and a Belkin router. Charter is my internet. How do I add MAC address to router access list or what do I do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm trying to understand at which part of the installation you are and why you think you might need to add your MAC to your router's access list.

Have you been successful in plugging your Fire Stick into an available HDMI port on your TV, plugging your Fire Stick into power, changing your TV to that HDMI input, installing batteries in the remote, and reaching the Fire Stick setup screen on your TV?

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Here are the initial steps to get your Fire Stick connected if you have not done so already:

1. Connect the device to the HDMI port on your TV, then plug the device into a power source. Make sure your TV is tuned to the appropriate input source. You should see a “Fire TV” splash screen.

2. Put the included AAA batteries into the remote and click the play/pause button. If the Fire TV isn’t responding, hold the Home button down on the remote for a few seconds and then try again.

3. This will prompt the box to start scanning for wireless networks. Select your home network from the onscreen lineup and enter your password.

4. Once the device establishes a connection, you’ll be prompted to enter your Amazon account information or create a new Amazon account. Enter that info using the remote and onscreen keyboard.

5. After that goes through, a short video will play, giving you a tutorial on how to use the remote, the streaming services, and mobile apps to control the Fire TV devices.

And that’s it. You’re ready to start watching and listening.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got to the screen for scanning wireless networks, chose mine and put in my password. It didn't take after several tries. Then I noticed the box saying, MAC Address Wi Fi FO:27:2D:B4:63:73. I have a MAC and a Belkin router for Charter internet. Says to add MAC address to router access list. I looked up Belkin's default IP of 192.168.2.1 but could find no screen to let me log in. I wouldn't know just what to do if I had been able to log in.
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Do you know how to find your network information on your Mac computer? I'm not familiar with Macs but if you can find your "default gateway" IP address, that is likely the IP address of your Belkin router.

If you put that address into your web browser, you should reach the router. By default, most Belkin routers have no password. The login name might either be blank or "admin" (no quotes). If neither works, then you might have to call Charter and ask them, assuming they are the ones that provided and installed your router.

If you get into your router, then:

• Select Wireless -> MAC Address Control from the menu on the left.
  • If Allow radio button is enabled proceed to the next step, otherwise, close the web browser window as your router is not filtering MAC addresses.
  • .In the MAC Address field that is blank, type in the MAC address of the Fire Stick and then click Add.

Please let me know if any of this resolves your issue.

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm just checking in. Were you able to get your Fire Stick connected to your WiFi? Please let me know if your issue has been resolved or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Drew