Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Network consultant for over 20 years.
25267123

I can't connect my new Mac Air (Yosemite) to my new Canon

Customer Question

I can't connect my new Mac Air (Yosemite) to my new Canon MG4250. I had followed a suggestion to remove it from the printers list, then add it again, but when I go to the + button on the printers list it is not even there.
The printer is connected to wifi, as is the Mac, but they will not connect for printing (even before the printer was deleted from the printers list). Please advise.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

My name is Drew. I'm sorry you're having difficulty. Typically, you can find your printer's IP address by looking in the network settings on your printer or printing out a set up page. Do you know how to do this? If not, I can look for your printer manual online and see if I can find it for you.

Once you have the IP address, you can follow these procedures to add your printer when it does not show up in the printer list.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH11478?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Please let me know how it goes and ask me any questions.

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Drew,
I managed to print off the Network Configuration page from the printer, so found an IP address, called MAC address. I presume this is the correct one? When i followed the Apple instructions, I seemed to be able to fill in the blanks (it pre-filled the Daemon choice, so I left it in). However when I tried to print, it still said it couldn't recognise the printer. Not sure what is the matter now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What it actually said was "Unable to locate printer ........ "(it gave the IP address I had put in)
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

No, a MAC address is not the same as an IP address.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

An IP address might look something like this:

192.168.1.5

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Yours could be different but the premise is nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

You should have an IP address on that page as well. Do you see one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try that. I have found it. Thanks
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me know. It might be called an IPv4 address as well. v4 means "version 4". There is also a v6 but most people don't use v6.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found an IP address for Primary Server and Secondary Server (both the same, 192.168.1.1 and used that. It then said it was setting up the printer. But then said "Unable to verify the printer on our network" Do you wish to continue?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the part TCP/IP version it says IPv4 & IPv6 and the next line in headed IPv4 IP address but it is blank. I guess that is the address I need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no such number on the page.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Yes. And that tells me you have not been successful in getting your printer connected to your network. I think once you solve that, you will see your printer in your list on your Air.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Printer setup process has been done a number of times, and it has resulted in a statement on the little pad thing to say that it is connected, and also the blue light indicator indicator for wifi was initially flashing while it searched, but then became a staple blue light, which is still on. So that suggests that it HAS connected to the wifi, I thought.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stable blue light, I meant.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Instructions for connecting your printer are here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg4250_printer_wireless_connection_setup/

WPS setup can be problematic. I'd click the "standard connection setup" tab at the top and then follow those instructions.

***nevermind*** just saw your reply.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Actually, which method are you using to connect? WPS or standard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used WPS. When I tried to use standard, it didn't work.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't tried standard, please try that. And if you get the "connected to the access point" message at the end, then please print the setup page and see if you have an IP address.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Do you know the wireless password ***** your access point/router?

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

And when you say "didn't work", what error message did you get?

Typically the reason people have trouble connecting is either they don't know their wireless password ***** they are not actually connecting to their own wireless. Sometimes they mistakenly try to connect to their neighbor's wireless.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

I have to step away for about 15 min...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it the full wireless password ***** you would use for connecting a device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the standard method for connection, using the correct wifi password ***** we use for connecting iPhones and iPads etc (it works for them, and I did not make any errors in putting in the password). However the message I get is "network error. failed to connect to the access point".
It then says to check the access point - there is only our live box to connect to
Check the passphrase - I checked and checked.
Turn off the router and try again - I did that.
Then see the access point manual and check the settings - I have no idea what settings they could be referring to. I have found the manual, which unfortunately is in French, but if you could indicate what I might be looking for that would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer has the blue wifi light on, and also an ***** *****ght able a triangle sign with a jagged line (a bit like a lightning flash) running through it. Any ideas what that is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't imagine it is a problem with the access point itself, as it is working for all the devices, the phone, etc. So I don't know why we should be checking the settings for the router???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the printer, I meant the ***** *****ght is ABOVE a triangle sign with the lightning
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Your access point should be fine since it's working with your other devices. I don't know why your printer won't connect. I'll dig through the manuals and see if I can come up with something.

Meanwhile I'll opt out of this question in case any other experts have any ideas.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

last thing I can think of is you aren't picking the right encryption. Try WPA, WPA2, and WEP as a last choice. Maybe that's it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I put those in? I am not sure where I pick the encryption????
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if they show up in the menus or not. I just mentioned it in case they do. Older equipment used to. Newer stuff figures it out on it's own.

I don't know why you're having difficulty getting your printer connected to your wireless. I'm stumped and I'm sorry. Hopefully another expert will have some ideas.

It shouldn't be this difficult.

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gather that there is no further help to be had. I appreciate your efforts, but the problem is not solved, and I trust that there will be no payment, according to the 100% guarantee for successful outcome. Can you confirm please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I just saw the referral. I will await that before cancelling the request. thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now managed to connect the printer through the standard method, and printed off the network configuration page, which has provided the IPv4 IP address. I put that into the printer 'location' box below the name of the printer, but it still does not print. Perhaps I put that in incorrectly, or there is something more that I should do. It does seem that we have made progress, but still no printing. Please advise if I will be hearing from another expert or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Just Answer staff. I would prefer not to continue with Just Answer, as it does not appear to be resulting in a satisfactory outcome. I will either get a technician to come to the house, or purchase an alternative printer. Please confirm that the fee will not be applied. Nevertheless, I appreciate Drew's efforts. Thank you.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thanks for the note of appreciation. I know you said you do not wish to continue and want to be sure you will not be charged. As I understand it, you will only be charged if you "accept" an answer.

And the reason I say "as I understand it", JustAnswer/Pearl is the company. The "experts" like myself are not employees. We're just people that use the JustAnswer service like yourself. If you accept our answers, we make a little money.

So anyway, I'm just explaining that so you understand where I'm coming from. But I'm a "nerd" and thus am truly curious as to how you were able to finally connect to your printer. I'm invested in this problem and don't really care about getting paid or not. I just want to help you get it working if you still want to try. :)

So now that you were able to get your printer connected to your wireless, does it finally show up in your printer list on your Mac Air? If so, then selecting it should be all you have to do.

When you say you tried to put the IP address in the "location", was that on the printer or on your Mac Air?

Also, what is the IP address printed on your network configuration page from your printer?

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Drew,
I had always put the password ***** into my devices with spaces, but when I put it in without any spaces it connected. The location IPv4 which I finally managed to print out was put into the Mac, but it still did not show up or print. At that point I decided to give up and seek another way around.
I did really appreciate your assistance and approach, and it is a pity that some gremlin seems to be in the works.
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.

The IPv4 address from the printer that you print out should not be the same as the IP address of the computer if that is what you meant by that last statement. You said "The location IPv4 which I finally managed to print out was put into the Mac"??? Let me know I can help you