Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have an ASUS router that is in it's first month of use

Customer Question

I have an ASUS router that is in it's first month of use and has suddenly has intermitent connectivity with wifi connections. I have rebooted the router by unplugging it , and also via the software of the router. I've also checked in the admin settings
for a newer firmware, there is none. Two different machines are experiencing the issue so it does not seem to be a problem of the receiving device. What should I check next?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

I would advise to do a reset of the router and set it up again to remove any problems with the firmware.

On the back of the router is a reset button. You may need to use a paperclip and hold the reset button in for 10 seconds then release.

Then setup the router again and tell me how the wifi connections now operate please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll do that tonight.
I did reboot the modem after asking the question and it looks like this improved or even solved the issue, but I'll have see how stable and reliable it is tonight.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if it improved after a reboot, a reset will get it working a lot better based on this. Points to the firmware.

I have marked the question to never close, so any issues just let me know here

If you have any problems or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The issues have returned.
Cutting power to both Modem and Router seem somewhat helpful but this is not certain. The reliability of the signal comes and goes.
The Modem is a Dlink model from 2005 and has worked flawlessly since then. I don't think it has any firmware but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure there is no way to interface with it and update anything.
As I mentioned earlier, the admin in the ASUS router shows that the firmware is the most up to date version.
Do you know if internet companies have begun to throttle down or reduce transmission speeds as part of net neutrality or similar (for your own good) schemes? My wife is sure that is what's occuring.
What are the procedures and steps to further diagnose, most likely to least likely?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but it was not just cutting power to the modem and router that I requested that you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that.
How many issues are you seeing with Modems lately? My Dlink has worked solidly since 2005 but recently I was contacted by the Internet service provider that an upgrade to a new version could be needed.
The issues started somewhat after that.
I was told the 3.0 version (looks like protocol DOCSIS 3.0 online) would be the correct to use.
I was encouraged to update to either a Motorola surfboard or Cisco DPC3008 would be the way to go.
http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6121-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441648650&sr=1-1&keywords=motorola+modem
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-DPC3008-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem/dp/B007OAHDTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441649582&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+dpc3008
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I see lots of issues daily with all modems, so I am not the best to ask about this.

Before we go any further I want you to do the instructions I have been giving please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running behind, I should be able to reset as you mentioned tonight.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reset the settings on the wifi router to the factory and re-established the two SSID networks.
The connection continues to have sporadic issues.
The wireless router is only a couple months old while the modem is 10 years old. I've been told I need to move up to version 3.0
What should I check next?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you do a reset of the main modem as well an then check if the connection improves

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much better with the Modem reset.
Being intermittent its not straightforward to evaluate and compare.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, with the Modem being so old, the next step I would do is request from your provider it is replaced, and then test. They should do this free of charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at two versions of the Motorola Surfboard, one at 172 Mbps, and another at 343 Mbps.
I'm hoping that my service provider can tell me if the second one is overkill based on their top speed for my service.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found out from my ISP that the discounted package I am using is at 3 MBS, their regular package would be 50 MBS.
It sounds like the less expensive Modem at 172 MBS should be quite enough.
Is there any reason to spend an additional $20 to get the next level of speed?
I use internet for browsing and working from home. I think these higher speeds are likely for gaming.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The higher speeds are not even really needed for Gaming, its more for streaming like Netflix ect, so if you plan on doing this I would advise for it.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you