Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Live in a rural area with no cable or wired internet access.

Customer Question

Live in a rural area with no cable or wired internet access. Only DSL w2hich is extremely slow. I have AT&T LTE coverage great at my home. Use 2 Mifi devices from AT&T, great spped but can get costly, but that is not my issue. I need all of my devices on the same wifi network so moving around the house does not cause switching, and makes printing etc. much easier. Can I connect an ethernt cable and then connect an Apple Airport device to set up a wifi network with extenders throughout myhome?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you wanting to do this to extend your LTE network through the house (from the hotspot)? What hotspot device/model are you using?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will use whatever is the best, ***** ***** the shadow of an AT&T cell tower with LTE. Whatever is best for AT&T will get
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

There are a few options here, but the best would be to buy a router that supports usb modem connections. Buy a lte usb adapter, and plug that into the router. That will give you the LTE connection speed to share internet access with all your home devices, and also give them a wifi network to share files/printers.

http://amzn.to/1XhGlcp

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

That is a basic one, and you can also hook up your dsl to it too, and use dsl as the primary network. If you need more bandwidth, unplug the dsl from the router and it would switch over to the lte connection.

There are other options (more expensive/complicated) involving a load balancing router, where you can have both networks connected at the same time.

It would use the dsl where possible and if the network slows down it can shift tasks to the lte connection.

With advanced configuration, it can even be set up to direct certain traffic only to the dsl. So if you had an automatic cloud backup for example that happens on a regular basis, and doesn't need to be fast as it is automated and run overnight, you can put that on the dsl only to save on data charges.

http://amzn.to/1EC0OCZ