Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Need assistance with transferring DNS zone site without

Customer Question
Need assistance with transferring DNS...
Need assistance with transferring DNS zone for a site without causing an outage. I need a DNS expert please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
8/27/2015
Network Technician: Cpolarek, Network Administrator replied 2 years ago
Cpolarek
Cpolarek, Network Administrator

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Tell me what you're setup is like and what you're trying to do.

I am a Network engineer and received a service request from our Web team to add a zone into our Public facing DNS so that we can become authoritative for the domain and be responsible for it. The domain name is ***** ***** it will be pointing to a web server hosted by Blackbaud. If you look this name up by whois then you will see that godaddy is currently authoritative for it and has the appropriate entries in their name servers to point users to get this website.
I need to ensure during a cutover that no downtime to this we its will go down. I have been send the zone files with the RRs. I need a sequence of steps starting from entering the zone in our name servers, entering the appropriate RRs, verification prior to cutover of authority for this domain name, TTLs. Please go into detail. I'm just a Cisco guy.

What you're asking for is quite in depth. I'll give you the basics: The last thing you do is point your NS for your domain to your personal server. This is when you do your cutover and this will be how you prevent downtime. Prior to that change all your godaddy TTL to 15 minutes, you install the zone, the reverse lookup and all that on the server you will want to go live with. Then after that's completed, you can do a NSlookup command pointed to the name server that you've created. Test all of your lookups on that server to make sure they resolve. Once they do (that's your testing phase) you know you'll be good to go. Cut your NS for your website to the new one an clear your cache. Try to do a real lookup. You should be live and good.

Network Technician: FisherEngineering, Certified Networking Engineer replied 2 years ago
FisherEngineering
FisherEngineering, Certified Networking Engineer

Cpolarek has the proper procedure. I just wanted to chime in and with a question you should ask your team: "Why are we doing this?" Having the authoritative DNS at GoDaddy gives you redundancy, uptime and a good failsafe environment. Putting the authoritative DNS on an internal server (if this is what you are doing) is more risky. Only if you are going to be making dns changes a lot, all day long, etc.... even then having it at GoDaddy is simple to make changes. For what it is worth...

Let me start over again because I actually asked this question from my smart phone and did not give enough information.

A customer from my web team who has a webserver hosted at blackbaud.com currently has the domain name of radyfoundation.org that points to this webserver. Godaddy is the registrar who is authoritative for this domain. I work for a big hospital that has 3 internal and 2 external name servers (we are running Infoblox appliances).

I have been tasked with adding the zone for radyfoundation.org into our DNS so that people can get to this externally hosted webserver and to ENSURE that there is no down time. (These guys from the webteam have done damage in the past and blackholed our network because they told our registrar that we were not authoritative for a very important domain of ours. I want to make sure this does not happen to me for some mistake.

Okay so far I received the zone files from godaddy for radyfoundation.org and I add a zone in our DNS with the RR's in the zone file that they gave us. The A record currently point to godaddy's namerserver(we are not pointing site users to the webserver at the hosting provider yet. My webteam guy is going to go to our registrar(because I have no communication with them) and is going to tell them to stop being authoritative. Please give me a dumb down explaination as to what I need to do and what I need to inform my web team guy to do.

My understanding from what you said is that you are looking to host the external name servers in house for the .org so any lookup for blah.xxx.org will hit your name server? Will godaddy still hold the .org name?

You are correct. Once my web team guy tells godaddy that we are ready to cutover they will no longer be authoritative for radyfounaftion.org. We would just have purchased rights to this domain and will be doing DNS in house.

Yeah, you're saying authoritative and it's throwing me off. When you have a name through a godaddy or any other name provider, you have the option of hosting the DNS yourself. This task isn't bit at all. The problem your previous guy had was they switched it without the other side being setup. SO - It gets back to my original answer. Once your .org dns entries are on your 2 servers (place it on both if they don't replicate) Then you can nslookup to YOUR dns servers you placed the enties on. These servers think they are in control so they will tell you what they know. If your lookups are correct, then you can go into your godaddy and change the name servers to your own. If your TTL are short, then you'll notice the changes quickly. You can do a nslookup to a different server and do an soa lookup to see if the web has officially changed it.

Network Technician: Andrew, Network Architect replied 2 years ago
Andrew
Andrew, Network Architect

Are you still working with cpolarek? If so, I bow out - please finish with him, he is giving you good advice. If you are looking for further assistance, I'll be glad to help.

Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Network Architect