Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I may have been scammed today. I was using Google Chrome to

Customer Question
I may have been scammed...
I may have been scammed today. I was using Google Chrome to access www.steephilltv/tourdefrance/#live at their eurosport feed - live video m English - when I got a loud audio message with a flashing window identifying Chrome warning me of danger and asking me to call(###) ###-#####1. The lady from Delhi had me run www.lmi1.com so that she could access my machine to check my vulnerability. The computer (XP) is only used for play but it is on the same wi –fi network as my valuable machine used for all bank and on-line shopping and on which I have NORTON 360. When the lady told me that I was highly vulnerable to attack and was insistent that I pay now to save me I stopped the conversation but I am now worried that I have all of my personal data attacked. I have put my banks and credit card companies on notice.
Do these people represent Chrome? Am I vulnerable to being hacked?
Any suggestions on what I should do? Will Chrome’s internal protection and Norton 360 be adequate even though I gave her access to another computer on my network????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
7/26/2015
Network Technician: Martin, System Administrator replied 2 years ago
Martin, System Administrator
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
These people do not represent Chrome as Google (the creators of Chrome) do not do that kind of support. Neither does Microsoft, just for future reference!
It's good you hung up and decided to contact someone about this before it went too far - what they usually do is install remote software on your computer, maybe run an anti malware program on your computer and then leave unattended access so they can come back in, wreck the computer and ask for more money.
Do you recall giving them access at all?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
YES using "Run ... www.lmi1.com. She accessed my computer and she flashed a number of the files on it. I am really more interested in the other computer though so far two of my 3 financial institutions do notr believe \\i have a problem with them
DID TOU RECEIVE?
Well it's quite possible the computer she accessed is now accessible by her whenever she wants. Regarding other computers on the network it is highly unlikely she will be able to access, she would need to run some specific tools from your computer to hijack another computer on your network and you would be able to see her doing it.
I think you still have time to revert this mistake - I can give you a list of instructions to follow which will get rid of the program she put on your computer or I can connect to your computer and make sure you don't hear back from her for good.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer