Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

How to hook up a Bunker Hill security DVR model 61229 to view

Customer Question

How to hook up a Bunker Hill security DVR model 61229 to view online with HP Pavillion desktop LAN computer and HTC M18 WAN smartphone via Motorola Arris model SBG6580 modem/router?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.
I was able to find the installation manual for your model at the following location:
http://bitli.es/x5oWfl
I'm providing that to you for your reference in case you don't have it. This model is a BNC closed-circuit system. It is not an IP system that resides on your network as some systems do. In order to view the cameras on the system, you must be physically at the console to view it correctly. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael, your response is wrong. Your response erroneously stated, "...In order to view the cameras on the system, you must be physically at the console to view it correctly." All I want is a detailed correct response to my original question: "How to hook up a Bunker Hill security DVR model 61229 to view online with HP Pavillion desktop LAN computer and HTC M18 WAN smartphone via Motorola Arris model SBG6580 modem/router?"
The box that the system was shipped inside holds clues to the WAN capabilities of the system: The original box that contained this system at purchase has 3 pictures of a smartphone showing a picture captured via this system"s WAN capabilities...all three smartphone pics on the box boast in big letters, "Mobile Phone and Web Surveillance." The LARGEST print on the box states, "8-Channel Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras & Mobile Monitoring Capabilities." The box also states, "Record, Playback, and Transmit Video."
You might have also looked toward the Owner's Manual for more clues regarding how this system sends pics and videos: Page 11 of the Owner's Manual shows how to do WAN port forwarding to send the recorded pics and videos to a modem and then to "Remote Computer Access" and then to "Smartphone Access."
Page 29 is headed "SET UP REMOTE VIDEO STREAM" with a subheading saying "Network/Substream" followed by the directions to "Select Channels To Export Through Network Connection."
Page 30 is titled "Wide Area Network (WAN) Setup."
The bottom of Page 32 is headed "SMARTPHONE." Beneath that heading it states "For connecting to the DVR with a Smartphone. To use this feature, the WAN needs to be set up first."
I tried to follow the Owner's Manual directions countless hours without success and finally decided to pay my hard earned money to get the IT Professionals at JUST ANSWER to figure out how to sort this thing out. I need my security system to be 100% functional as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, my original question asked, "How to hook up a Bunker Hill security DVR model 61229 to view online with HP Pavillion desktop LAN computer and HTC M18 WAN smartphone via Motorola Arris model SBG6580 modem/router?"
I bought the Bunker Hill Security DVR model 61229 a month ago and couldn't figure out how to get the DVR and computer and Modem and Smartphone to synchronize allowing me to remotely view. I was impressed when I saw an online conversation between a Just Answer pro and a customer named John dated 2/2012. John asked, "I have a bunker hill security system I am trying to set up to view cameras online with my phone and online How do I get this set up to work I have tried everything possible I can think of." The Just Answer representative bent over backward asking questions and recommending tweaks over several days until he got the client's system to remotely show images! It was impressive. The Just Answer guy cared. He gave a rat's ass. I knew you guys were going to get my system running so I can protect my home and have the capability to remotely view every square inch of my property to keep my house and loved ones away from harm. I was not able to get my system to view after reading the advice from that Just Answer pro because I am using a different modem and the setup menus are entirely different. It was a no-brainer to decide to ask Just Answer for help in setting up my specific hardware. However, I was very disheartened to hear your response. I appreciated you had taken the time to send me a copy of my DVR's manual. But, I already have a new manual. I could tell that you don't have a working knowledge of how to get a DVR security system to remote view to a Smartphone and remote computer when you noted that I am using a BNC system and not an IP system that resides on your network. That is hogwash. BNC connectors have nothing to do with a network's capability to send the relatively low data volume of static, non-dynamic images. Your contention that, "In order to view the cameras on the system, you must be physically at the console to view it correctly." is more hogwash. Of course, it IS definitely possible to view from the console, but the system is not only LAN based, it is also WAN capable; so, it can send email and images to remote computers and smartphones via the web.
I sent this response to you on 7/3/15: "Hi Michael, your response is wrong. Your response erroneously stated, "...In order to view the cameras on the system, you must be physically at the console to view it correctly." All I want is a detailed correct response to my original question: "How to hook up a Bunker Hill security DVR model 61229 to view online with HP Pavillion desktop LAN computer and HTC M18 WAN smartphone via Motorola Arris model SBG6580 modem/router?" The box that the system was shipped inside holds clues to the WAN capabilities of the system: The original box that contained this system at purchase has 3 pictures of a smartphone showing a picture captured via this system"s WAN capabilities...all three smartphone pics on the box boast in big letters, "Mobile Phone and Web Surveillance." The LARGEST print on the box states, "8-Channel Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras & Mobile Monitoring Capabilities." The box also states, "Record, Playback, and Transmit Video." You might have also looked toward the Owner's Manual for more clues regarding how this system sends pics and videos: Page 11 of the Owner's Manual shows how to do WAN port forwarding to send the recorded pics and videos to a modem and then to "Remote Computer Access" and then to "Smartphone Access." Page 29 is headed "SET UP REMOTE VIDEO STREAM" with a subheading saying "Network/Substream" followed by the directions to "Select Channels To Export Through Network Connection." Page 30 is titled "Wide Area Network (WAN) Setup." The bottom of Page 32 is headed "SMARTPHONE." Beneath that heading it states "For connecting to the DVR with a Smartphone. To use this feature, the WAN needs to be set up first." I tried to follow the Owner's Manual directions countless hours without success and finally decided to pay my hard earned money to get the IT Professionals at JUST ANSWER to figure out how to sort this thing out. I need my security system to be 100% functional as soon as possible."
After reading the details of my response to you, anyone could see that even a mere cursory glance at the very same manual you PDF'ed to me would have indicated the WAN capabilities of this system to even a neophyte IT Professional. But you keep sending letters that ignore that fact and continue asking payment for an egregiously wrong answer. Can you either get it in gear and do the due diligence needed to get my specific system running or pass my question to someone who wants to help me out? I have faith that someone at Just Answer wants to help me.
Thanks, ***** *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
First, have you connected the network cable from the DVR to the main router on your network?
and have you yet assigned any network values to the DVR in the Network settings?
Please let me know
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It took too long to receive Mike's incorrect advice.
And Richard's "is the DVR plugged in and did you do any network settings yet?" is the epitome of too little, too late.
I decided to contact you people in spite of multitudes of bad reviews because of the fantastic service you gave to a guy with a similar question in 2012. I will never use your service again.