Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I'm having the constant "looking problem. This

Customer Question

I'm having the constant "looking for networks" problem. This only happens at a house in michigan, where I am now. In Mpls, where I usually live, there's no problem. My husband doesn't have the problem, but my MacBook Air is slightly newer than his. I think this problem began when I the new MacBook, about one year ago. Thinking it might be a slow server problem, I had my provider come up yesterday and install faster service. It seemed better last night, but maybe wishful thinking, because it's really bad tonight.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
You are referring to the Macbook constantly looking for wireless networks to connect to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am. Are you there? I'm a day late.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem and thanks
What is the make and model of the wifi router you should be connecting to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Uh oh. I have no idea! I can go check. But, first. I just had a new modem installed and upgraded to faster service. AT&T said they thought that would help, but the tech who did the work didn't think so. What I need to know before I check is this. Where is the router?! The modem is the small box that has blinking lights on it, right? Sorry, I'm 100 years old.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really, but old enough that this is not second nature to me. Is the modem sitting on the desk blinking, or is that the router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blinking light box says Arris on it. But it also has an AT&T sticker on it. Does that help?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the box that AT&T gave you, that provides you the internet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it's Arris. The light are all green, except the one that's labeled wireless, and that constantly blinks.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, on the back of it is a reset button.
Using a paperclip, push in the reset button for 10 seconds, then release.
Then restart your computer, wait 5 minutes then try to connect to the wireless network.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'm connected to it right now. But it goes in and out. And the wifi icon has full bars, but constantly says it's looking for networks. Should I still reset it? And if I turn off my computer, how do I get back online with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, please do the reset, then you can just reply to me here on this webpage like you are doing now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay but you said restart the computer, right? So, reset the router, the shut down the computer, power back on and reconnect to this page? Seems like I'll lose you, but okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right? (sorry, I'm on an island in the middle of nowhere and this is my lifeline and it makes me nervous to stick paperclips into a brand new modem!)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? Are you waiting for me to do the paperclip trick?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes I am here, I need you to do the instructions I gave please. It will be ok, this is what the reset is for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, here goes.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'm back. Now what?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
now tell me if you still have the problem please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I am online, obviously, but the wifi icon constantly says it's looking for networks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe that's normal, although at times it does lose service when I'm downloading something.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should the green light on the Arris NVG510 by blinking? are you there?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, try to download something now and see if you have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem, but as I said, it's intermittent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to go, it's working well enough to get by. I have a deadline to send something in 10 minutes, so as long as my email goes out I'm okay. Just annoying to have it go in and out. And, it does not do it on my husband's MacBook air, only on mine. Which is a little newer than his.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I thikn the problem is in the computer. But people at Apple couldn't find anything that would do it.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you will then need to monitor it to see if the problem occurs again.
I have marked this question to never close, so if it does return, then return to this question and let me know and we can then continue from there. But a lot of times, intermittent losses in internet are caused by the modem which requires a reset (what we just did)
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'd rather rate you later if that's okay. Because nothing really has changed, but I am out of time so not fair to say problem not solved, ergo give you a 'fair' rating. But, the reset trick didn't make a difference. If I get bumped off -- and usually I notice it when trying to send outgoing documents -- I'll get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In other words, I don't see our session as being over, because you agreed to mark the question to never close. Which I appreciate. But now I have to press send and get my work sent in. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I am not too clear on what you mean with your response... but if you have the problem again let me know