Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

We are on U-verse with AT&T. I have a wireless router right…

Customer Question
We are on U-verse with...
We are on U-verse with AT&T. I have a wireless router right next to the TV. When I go to network connection, the TV recognizes the router and good signal strength. However it says that I am disconnected from internet. when I click "enter access point name" and enter router password, it says it is incorrect. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
6/30/2015
Network Technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

This could be a wireless network password ***** so I suggest temporary disabling the wireless network password ***** the router and then checking if the TV is able to connect.
Do you know how to do that?
not sure what you mean by disabling the password...you mean unplug router?
No, I mean disabling the wireless network (router) password ***** that the TV or any other device trying to connect to your wireless network doesn't ask for the password.
how do you do that?
Please tell me the make and model of the wireless router you use, and I will provide the instructions for you.
That information is usually found on the bottom side of the router.
AT&T Arris; NVG510
To confirm, does your wireless router look like this:
graphic
PICTURE
basically, yes...Has AT&T logo on side
OK, here are the instructions:
1. Using your web browser, go to this address:
http://192.168.1.254
That is the web-based configuration utility of your wireless router. If you are asked to enter the Device Access Code in order to continue, look at the side of the router since it should be printed there.
2. Once you have entered the router's web-based configuration utility, it will display the Status information: Broadband, WiFi, Voice. In the WiFi section, you will see your WiFi Network Name (SSID), Authentication Type and WiFi password (Network Key).
3. Please check that Network Key and enter it on your TV when asked. It could be that you were entering the Device Access Code instead of that key.
the network key is printed on the side of the router. that is the same one on the web site you sent me to
The TV is still saying incorrect password?
I have tried twice. I can try again
OK. Make sure to type it exactly as it is printed since it is case-sensitive.
it is just numbers...does access point and password ***** the same thing?
"Access point" represents the name of your wireless network. You can see your wireless network name on the Status information page of your router's web-based configuration utility as "WiFi Network Name (SSID)".
Your TV is asking you to enter or select the name of your wireless network and to type the password.
So, type the name you see as "WiFi Network Name (SSID)" and type the password ***** see as "WiFi password (Network Key)".
I found the device access code and typed it in but where do I type in the password?
The device access code is only needed when accessing the router's web-based configuration utility. There you can see the current settings and change them.
For your TV and other devices that you want to connect to your wireless network, you need to type the Network Key that is printed on the side of the router and visible as "WiFi password (Network Key)" in the on the Status information page.
So, for "enter access point name", enter your wireless network name - WiFi Network Name (SSID).
For "enter router password", enter your wireless network password ***** WiFi password (Network Key).
Let me know if the TV connected to your wireless network.
there is one space which asks for "access point name". Where do I put in network key?
Follow the instructions on the TV for connecting it to the wireless network. The Network Key should be entered after you enter the Network Name (access point name).
the TV is not giving me any instructions. Do you put the network key on same line as network name?
No, you should be first prompted to enter the network name, and then the password.
Does the TV offer display list of nearby wireless networks which you can select with the remote control, without the need of typing the name manually?
is it possible to speak with someone so that I can fully understand how to correct what I am doing wrong?
Let me know the make and model of your TV and I will provide the instructions on how to connect.
It's a Vizio ( I thought I was on Vizio help site). How do I identify model?
Look at the back of the TV. There should be one or more stickers with the model number.
E601i-A8
I believe it should be E601i-A3 since E601i-A8 doesn't exist as a Vizio TV model.
I found a manual for Vizio E601i-A3. Please download it on this link:
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E601iA3/UM_E601iA3.pdf
Go to page 36 and see how to connect the TV to a wireless network.
I still cannot get it to connect. Is there any way I can talk to a person?
The setup should be quite easy: you first need to make sure the Ethernet cable is not connected to the TV since you won't see the wireless networks.
After that, go to the Network menu on your remote and the TV will display found wireless networks. Select yours and press OK. When asked to type the password, enter it (The Network Key) and the TV should connect to the wireless network.
If you are having problems, you can watch this video that explains pretty much everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7enEqgkFw0
However, if are you still unable to connect the TV to your wireless network, then it could be a problem with your TV, so you can call the Vizio support at: 855-833-32-21
I hope this helps!
Regards,
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with the stars).
Thanks,