Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Netcomm N300 N7 Router and I am trying to connect…

Customer Question
Hi I have a Netcomm...
Hi I have a Netcomm N300 N7 Router and I am trying to connect my DVR in order to view my cameras remotely. The cameras are hard wired to the dvr, not wireless so I don't need to configure them. I'm also currently running a Cat5 cable through my house from the dvr to the router and would prefer to connect my other router directly to the DVR and somehow configure that to connect to my N7 router and then port forward, so use the secondary router as a range extender type set up. Can you help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
Attached are screen shots of my router advanced setup. First two images are status page, the third is dchp clients list showing the ip addresses assigned to currently connected devices and fourth is the port forwarding page which I don't know what to put where
6/25/2015
Network Technician: A. Stevens, Network Administrator replied 2 years ago
A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So there are 2 different parts of this. Firstly, you would need to set up your second router as an "Access Point" on your network to act as a range extender. Information on how to do this: http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-router-to-expand-your-wi-fi-network/
Once you have this set up as an Access Point, you wouldn't need to configure any additional port forwarding on the 2nd router as it is just acting as an extension of your main router. You would just then need to configure the port forwarding on the main router to allow your IP address of your DVR to be viewed externally. You can do this on the port forwarding page by assigning a TCP/UDP forward for the IP address of the DVR and assign the port the DVR is configured for. 81 is a good port to use.
Yes I realise that. And it is the port forwarding that I need assistance with as I said. The main router is Netcomm N7 I attached screen shots of the port forwarding pages, it is not like other routers in the things it asks for
So for "Service Port: Enter the port you assigned the DVR (as I mentioned 81 is ok)" "Server IP: IP Address of the DVR""Enable: Checked""User Rule#: (0) Always"
Any luck with that?
Do I have to choose an IP address through ip config based off of the gateway ip?
I've attached the results of ipconfig which gave me my router ip and gateway ip. Then I've pinged 192.168.1.8 which came back u reachable so I chose this as my dvr ip. Is that correct. I've also attached the port forwarding hopefully that is how you said to fill it out. Do I need to do anything for port triggering as attached? What do I put in the dvr now?
No you would want to assign the DVR a address that is available can be 192.168.1.X
192.168.1.8 looks to be an android phone
So 192.168.1.8 is available now. So is that all I have to do with my router? What information do I now need to input to the dvr!? I've attached images of the menu options for networking my dvr. If you could please advise what options I am to select please
Here are the dvr menu options under network and also the settings for mobile which I'm not sure about
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
So for the DVR: TCIP/IP Type: StaticMedia Port: 8000Web Port: 81IP Address: 192.168.1.8Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0Gateway: 192.168.1.1DNS1: 192.168.1.1DNS2: 8.8.8.8UPNP: On
That should do it. You should then from your local network be able to hit http://192.168.1.8:81 and then from the internet http://YOURWANIP:81 You can find your WAN IP by going to www.myipaddress.com
You can go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test to see if port 81 is open to make sure network traffic is flowing on that port. If that test returns "Error" then we need to take a look at the router again to see why it is not open.