Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Property has two separate networks from 2 isp providers. Wanting…

Customer Question
Property has two separate networks...
Property has two separate networks from 2 isp providers. Wanting to combine network in order to eliminate one isp provider. Do I connect the network as a router behind router setup and keep the networks separate or do I combine the network to make it one big wired and wireless network?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
6/24/2015
Network Technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 2 years ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
One network, which ever ISP you remove is going to be left alone, its now the gateway, one the other router you need to log on to the GUI, do a google search for instruction on it, or see the manual, its really easy. What you want to do on the router that no longer has its own isp is turn off DHCP, which forces it to be a switch and a wireless hub. Thats all you need to do! hope i helped. Tim
That was instructions already have received by searching online. You need to give me more specifics. When doing this the network that is becoming a switch and wireless hub has security cameras on that connect to ddns service and is currently port forwarded. Upon doing what you explained what steps need to be taken so that the network is down for the minimum time possible. I'm a technician with the local cable company and figured a Certified Network Technician would give me an elaborate answer like those in your profession normally do without being getting compensated. I need a checklist and a step by step in order to have said router able to handle this REALLY EASY task that you say it is.
the port forwarding should not change, the cameras will pick up IP and should work, if you are worried you can assign them static IPS on the gate way, but i don't think there will be an issue. Your down time should be about 10 minutes if that, i dont know which router your using so i cant give you step by step, but finding the DHCP settings should be fairly easy. sorry you seem to not like my answer, i'' be happy to let others give it a shot. Tim
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer