Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Netflix has to reload during a movie. Connected to wifi. Wifi

Customer Question

Netflix has to reload during a movie. Connected to wifi. Wifi connection And speed okay according to Comcast.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
What devices are you using netflix on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
iPad and Vizio tv
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Works fine on ipad
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so it is primarily a vizio issue then. What is the full model number of the tv?Do you have issues with any other apps on the vizio (youtube, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
E320i-AO
Never tried other apps on TV.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Please try something else, so that we can properly isolate the issue.This could be a signal strength problem, a glitch in the router, or a hardware problem with the tvs internal wifi adapter (most common).How far is the router from the tv?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Comcast service man was here and signal and router are correct. I should be getting Netflix since it works on my iPad in the same location.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is definitely vizier problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Amazon Prime did not work
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I'm not disagreeing that your router may be ok, I'm asking you to test some other apps, and to tell me how far the router is from the tv.That is the only way for me to diagnose the problem so that we may reach a resolution.There is no setting, switch, or magic button that will fix this. What happened specifically with prime? Do you have a prime account?Can you test one of the free apps like youtube?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The router is in another room about 30 feet away
How do I locate YouTube on the tv?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
The same way you get into the vizio Via apps page and then found netflix, prime, etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok only click a Prime or Netflix button. Which button gets me to apps?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a button on the remote that says VIA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You should have a button on remote that says either Via or Apps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
How are you getting to netflix and amazon then? When you bring those up, you should have a whole list of other app options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found VIA by I cannot click to it. It is under settings but is darkened
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
That may be because an update is needed or more likely because the wifi connection to the network isn't staying stable (a tv issue, not necessarily a comcast/router problem)>As a next step, would it be possible for you to either (temporarily) run a long ethernet cord from the tv to the router, or move the tv near the router to plug it in. I'd then like you to test the netflix performance on the vizio while using a wired ethernet connection rather than wifi.http://amzn.to/1SwD8Tb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am giving up. Too much trouble. I'll watch on my iPad!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry it is not a simpler process, there are many variables here and there are specific steps we have to take to resolve it. I'll be here if you'd like to continue.Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** complicated for a non technical person
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
It really doesn't have to be overly difficult. All I want you to do is plug the tv into the router with a cord and try netflix again. If that works, it tells me the problem and it is a very easy fix from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thanks. TV is hooked up to various cords. I cannot unplug it all nor do I want to!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I understand.While I cannot guarantee it without further testing, the most likely issue here by far is an internal problem with the tvs wifi adapter/antenna.The cord test would likely prove that if the wired connection worked fine. At that point, the best solution would be to maintain a wired connection. The tv isn't worth fixing as it would cost you more to repair than to buy a whole new tv. While running a wired cord may not be feasible, what you can do is buy an external wifi bridge or powerline adapter which replaces the tvs internal adapter at minimal cost. This also gives you a faster connection and more stable performance. You can buy one of these: http://amzn.to/1K1Yhlcfor under $25. Plug one into the router, the other into the tv, with an ethernet cable (looks like a phone cord, but the plug is about twice as big) and your problem should be solved without having to touch any of the other cords/connections. Best regards,Nathan