Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I can't connect my MacBook Pro to my time capsule.It has been wor…

Customer Question
I can't connect my MacBook...
I can't connect my MacBook Pro to my time capsule.
It has been working fine for years but this afternoon it stopped working. I can see the network but when I try to connect to it, it won't connect.
It hasn't been working since I connected it to my home router (I'm only using the time capsule as a external HD not as a router) to try and set it up as a wireless router, but that didn't work. Since then I haven't been about to connect to the TC via Wifi
Thanks, Andrew
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
6/19/2015
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Network Specialist
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Is the Time Capsule currently connected to the wifi network?
No, the time capsule isn't connected to the existing network. I gave up on that and just tried to revert back to the set up I had before.
Sorry, how rude of me. Hi Richard, how are you?
No problem :)
I am doing well please
Can you tell me exactly how are you trying to connect to it now?
As rediculous as this sounds, I have two MacBook Pros running. One is my old one, which has an ethernet port and my new one which doesn't. I've got my old one connected via an ethernet cable and I'm trying to connect the new one via wifi.
While cumbersome, it was working until I tried to set the TC up as an external HD connected directly into my existing router, but that didn't work (as I've read on the internet a few people have had issues doing that.)
Connecting the TC to the router via an ethernet cable worked fine, but I couldn't connected it via wifi, even when set the wireless to "Extend Wireless Network"
Yes it needs to be bridged.
But you cannot connect it via wifi unless the TC is connected to the wireless network.
What happens when you try to connect it like you did before?
Connect the TC via the ethernet cable to the router you mean?
It's working fine while connected to my old MacBook Pro via cable.
ok, on a computer connected to the TC, do the following
Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility
Click on the base station, then click Edit in the small window that appears
Click the Network tab at the top of the next window that appears
Insure that the setting for Router Mode = Off (Bridge Mode)
Click Update and wait a full minute for the base station to restart
Then try to access it
Let me know the results please
Ok. The version of AirPort is pretty old, but I'll find those settings. I'm just seeing if there's an update for it. Will let you know....
Well I can't find that setting in the version that I have. Sorry.
Under AirPort, there are 5 tabs: Summary, Time Capsule, Wireless, Guest Network and Access Control
Under wirless I've set:
Wireless mode -> Create a wirelss network
Name -> Andrew TC
Security -> NoneI've left all other fields as default.
There is an 'Internet' menu but I've left these as default as well:
Connect Using -> Ethernet (other option is PPPoE)
Ethernet WAN Port -> Automatic (Default)
Connection Sharing -> Share a public IP address
What settings do you have under Time Capsule?
The weird this is that I can see the Wifi network from my computer and it even shows that it's unlocked when unlocked and locked when are password ***** ***** but it simply won't connect.
I'm able to connect both computers to my home network so I know that it's not the computers.
Ok, are you able to Factory Reset the Time Capsule via the instructions here
https://administrivia.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200024109-Resetting-an-AirPort-Base-Station-or-Time-Capsule-FAQ
It will not touch your data.
Sure. I've done it twice before, but I'll try anything. It's just restarting now.
ok, then just try to connect to the wifi network on it once you set it up.
This should just work as there are not settings to stop it.
Let me know the results please
It's still not working. And unfortunately I have to go.
With this conversation be saved and can I pick it up when I come back?
Thanks for your help
yes, but if you cannot even connect to the wifi after a factory reset then there is a hardware fault with the Timecapsule as a reset rules out any issue with the firmware.
At the least you would be able to connect to it via the wifi.
Richard, Network Specialist