Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I HAVE A NEW ATT UVERSE NVG589 AND I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY OLDER

Customer Question
2 WIRE GATEWAY 2701HG_B AS...
I HAVE A NEW ATT UVERSE NVG589 AND I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY OLDER 2 WIRE GATEWAY 2701HG_B AS A REPEATER TO EXTEND THE WIRELESS SIGNAL IN MY HOME.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
6/14/2015
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am a licensed network professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
The 2Wire 2701HG_B cannot be used as a 'repeater'. It can however, be used as a normal wireless access point that you can plug into the main modem. When you set it up as a wireless access point, you can run the cable to anywhere in the house and use the 2nd router as an access point.
- Plug a computer into the old modem (into one of the LAN ports).
- Go to the following page: http://192.168.0.1
- Click the Home Network tab on top.
- Click the Advanced Settings link.
- Change the "Router Address" to 192.168.0.250 (Make a note of this new IP address, as you will need it if you ever want to change anything on the modem).
- Uncheck the "Enable DHCP" checkbox.
- Click the Save button.
- Using a network cable, plug one end into one of the LAN ports on the old modem and plug the other end into one of the LAN ports on the new modem.
Now the two devices will be synched and you can place the 2nd modem anywhere as long as it stays connected via the network cable.
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason
Jason Jones, Network Technician