Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just buy a used roland sc540, cannot get it connected to comp…

Customer Question
hello, i just buy a...

hello, i just buy a used roland sc540, cannot get it connected to computer. i have the same pc that it was hooked to.

I have internet hooked to a switch and a cable from switch to pc and a cable from switch to printer.i downloaded intercon and put in IP, submask and gateway numbers but keeps getting error failed to connect

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Networking
5/26/2015
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, you may not have installed the drivers for your Roland DGA printer. Go to this site:

http://www.rolanddga.com/owners/support/

enter your printer's serial number, and search for appropriate driver(s) or updates.

But - if your computer is one that was already working, printing, to the SC-540 printer - then it presumably has the right drivers. In which case, the network setup you have, is likely not what that computer and that printer worked through.

In fact, your computer probably has, in its printer driver, a wrong IP address for the printer. That could make it quite incapable of printing.
Also, your switch may not be allowing communication to the printer from the computer. You should go into the switch's setup, and open communication to the printer's current IP address (whatever it is) from the computer's current IP address (whatever it is).
(And to make that work "permanently", you need to have both the computer's IP and the printer's IP, fixed or non-DHCP or invariant.)

how do i find the printers ip address

Do you know the IP Address that the printer is supposed to have (but perhaps does not have) ?
If so you can test it, by going to
Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt
and entering this command

PING [printer's IP address]

and see if that gets a response, or says timed out, or says no reply, etc.

Then there's two other ways, to actually find out:

1. the printer itself may have a 'network configuration page', that you can print out, using its own controls, not using the computer. It will have the IP address on it, if so.

or

2. the switch may, when you go into its Setup, have a listing of IP Addresses assigned, and the printer's will be one of them if so (and you can eliminate which one is the computer's, by looking in the Status of the network connection, or the Details of the connection.

This did not solve any of my problems. I contacted Roland and they took me through a step by step

Please refund the 28$