Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I need help getting my router connected

Customer Question
I need help getting my router connected
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2015
Network Technician: Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator replied 2 years ago
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
Do you have a cable or dsl modem?
I'm not on cable.
okay, thank you follow these steps please>http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/119/~/router-installation-on-cable-internet-service-provider---smart-wizard-interface
This made absolutely no sense. I have to have my computer hooked to the internet. I can't unplug it and plug in the router and expect to do all the things online that that incomprehensible website told me to do.
you do not have to be connected to the internet on your computer. The netgear has a built in web interface that looks like an actual website.
Okay, so I did what you told me. I was at the netgear site. They updated the router, or so they said. But nothing has changed. I still can't access the web unless I'm plugged in to the phone line.
okay, do you have the modem connected to the internet and the netgear connected to the modem? If yes, which lights are lit on the front of the netgear?
I'm not seeing lights on front of the netgear. Along the bottom there is a series of spaces. They all seem to have blue light coming through them. The fourth space is the bluest.
okay, try this please. Press the reset button on the back of the Netgear. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)Release the button.Wait for the router to reboot.Then follow these steps >http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/120
I followed the steps. When I went to the website you suggested, it just did the same thing it did before. There was no place where it said to setup wizard. I'm afraid I've just wasted lots of time and money. Nothing is working right.
I now see lights on the front of the netgear. The number 2 is green and there is a circle with half a circle around it that is green.
okay, connect your computer to one of the netgears ethernet ports labeled 1-4. Open an Internet browser and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password.The default username is “admin” and the default password ***** “password” Click Setup Wizard on the top left corner, Select Yes for the Setup Wizard to detect the type of internet connection and click Next. The Setup Wizard will detect the type of Internet connection. DSL connections which require a login to connect to the internet will be detected as PPPoE. Click Next Configure your router with the username and password ***** by your ISP and click Apply. The router will now save these settings. When complete, you can verify whether you are connected to the internet from the Router Status > Maintenance menu.Verify you have a valid IP address (not-blank / 0.0.0.0) on the Internet Port assigned by your ISP
Sir, there is no Setup Wizard on the top left corner. No where on the page.
okay, what is the Netgear model number?
I don't know if it's Netgear 73 or N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400v3
okay, thank you. Try these steps please>http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V3/WNDR3400v3_EN_IG_07Apr2014.pdfhttp://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V3/WNDR3400v3_EN_IG_07Apr2014.pdf
Here is another link and one for the netgear genie download>http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22717 >>>>GENIE LINK<<<<<
Please let me know if this does not work for you or if you need any other assistance.
After we have your issue resolved please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator