RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have a dlink DNS-323 and I juat replaced an old dlink

Customer Question

I have a dlink DNS-323 and I just replaced an old dlink DIR-655 with a new DIR-655. Now when I try to access the DNS-323 via web access, I get a msg that something is "waiting for 192.168.0.8", which is the DNS-323. Is there something I failed to set in the new DIR-655?  Also, is there a direct interface to the DNS-323 rather than going thru the web interface, as follows:

http://192.168.0.8/web/login.asp?id=8401878

Category: Networking
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected.
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
From question, i could understand that you have replaced the router and ever since lost access to dlink DNS-323.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The old 655 router pretty much got fried. Had to replace it. Decided to just get another DIR-655. Not exactly the same router.

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
I assume dlink DNS-323 is set to automatic pick ip address option(DHCP) and since you have replaced router, device IP Address might also be changed. This can be easily found by loggin to router(new DIR-655) and check devices which have picked ip address. If it shows your device(DNS-323), then that would be DNS-323 console web interface address.You may enter that ip address instead of 192.168.0.8, which may solve your issue. If you are not good to login to router and check dhcp released ip address and devices. You may download and run LAN scanner tool which will scan your LAN network and shows all that devices works in lan
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Are you there online now
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
You can download LAN scanner tool from herehttp://tinyurl.com/n9tdfg5 Once installed, open Advanced IP Scanner, set ip range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, click scanIt shows all devices on networkNote: Dlink DNS-323 must be on and must be in network prior to scan networkThanks
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any troubleI am happy to assist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I downloaded the IP Scanner and when I tried to install and run it I got a "Runtime error (at 200:959): External exception C000001D.

Any more suggestions?

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Try download from direct linkhttp://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same result. Is this software for XP? Web site only shows windows 7 & 8

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey, what happened to my expert?

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
hello
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am. What more info do you need?

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
can i have remote access to your machine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is it you wish to check out?

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=63cd5d1e-db5e-4789-83f5-98127ca53af8
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
The same thing i told you before. Checking ip address
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Please click "I Agree" > Download fileOpen/Run tool after download is completed
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know once its done
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the IP address of the device (323) did not match the IP address allocated to it in the router via DHCP, I would not be able to access the device, PERIOD.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I realize both XP and the DNS-323 are unsupported. If you are not familiar with the DLink products, please pass this on to someone that is familiar with them.

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
no way since it works via web console
Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Can you atleast login to router please?
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I can log in to router. What info do you need?

1) What is the IP address of router?
2) What is the IP address of the DNS-323?
3) Can you telnet into the IP address of the DNS-323 using port 80 or port 443?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Router IP is 192.168.0.1

DNS-323 IP is 192.168.0.32

My only attempt to access the DNS-323 is entering IP thru Firefox

I can access DNS-323 however it may take 5 to 15 min to get an acknowledgement which will eventually go back to login screen

That often times occurs when you use Firefox as the browser. Have you tried using Internet Explorer to access the page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have. Since I am still on XP, the last version of IE functional on XP is v8 which gives me the identical results. I appreciate the offer of $44 for connecting to my machine, however, I really don't think you (justanswer) have earned the initial $18 yet. I haven't had an answer from anyone yet that I haven't been able to get from the user guide.

I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.
try powering it off for a bit
then run through the initial setup again as per this guide
ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DNS-323/REVA/DNS-323_QIG_1.30_EN.PDF
if it doesnt find it in the setup software log into the router and see if it has a correct IP address
the first things that i can think of are
A. it still has the ip from the last router and it conflicts with something
B. the new router is on a different subnet than it used to be and so it cant get to it easily
C. Its running off a port that the router has blocked
D. It requires something like multicast or bonjuer to be turned on and they are set off on the router.
E. its there but it doesnt broadcast itself after the initial setup assuming that the computer will then know where it is. But it now has a different Ip address and the computer cant find it.
F. there is a problem with the cat5 cable or the port on the router it is plugged into or its just not plugged all the way in on one of them.
re installing as above will fix most of those possible problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually, none of your suggestions worked. Contrary to the documentation, the DNS-323 has to be connected directly to a computer to be configured. Once plugged into a PC, you then run the Dlink Easy Search Utility. The Utility will display the default IP address that will only be shown via the Utility. Happens to be 169.254.85.118. While being directly plugged in to a PC, enter default IP address in browser and proceed to configure DNS-323. While all you "Experts" tried to dazzle me with your "Network" knowledge, none of you had any knowledge of the Dlink products and how to configure them. Hmmm, maybe I should bill justanswer.com for this mini lesson in "Dlink configurations". Actually, I'm just going to request a refund.

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.
funny this is the first line i wrote to you
then run through the initial setup again
But i guess after you did it you decided it was all your idea. Funny you didnt think of it before you contacted us.
Thanks for the lesson.
you can email ***@******.*** for a refund.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, Rob. Your suggestion came at least an hour after I managed to interpret the setup instructions. Unfortunately, the instructions are very vague and misleading, even for someone with my background. If you look back thru the e-mails, you will see that I requested someone with knowledge of Dlink product knowledge. Unfortunately, no one could be found.

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that I could not help you earlier. Another expert was already on it and I don't even get to see it.

Sorry you did not get better service from them you can email *****@******.*** for a refund.