Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a G4 PowerPC that I can't keep connected to my wifi

Customer Question

I have a G4 PowerPC that I can't keep connected to my wifi without constantly renewing the DHCP lease. How do I solve this problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! What version of OSX are you using? Have you tried using a wired connection yet? A lot of times this issue is either caused by an issue with the wireless device itself (hardware or software) or possibly some interference with the wireless signal.
Basically renewing the DHCP lease forces a new connection but a lot of things can happen to cause the connection to drop again
I would first try to connect with a wired ethernet cable to you router to see if the problem persists. If it does, we can rule out the wireless factor. But first let's give the wired a connection a try first if that's possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still have the problem
Have the problem still with the cable? How about any other computers connected to the same router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem with other computer when hooked up to cable
I understand...do you know what version of OSX exactly you are running? Might need to update to a newer version to get the latest software available for the network/wireless hardware
There's OSX 10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac PowerBook G4 is old and the version is OS X 10.4.11. Can I download a new version on this laptop to solve my problem?
To go from 10.4 I believe you need an actual disc. If you are behind 10.6 unfortunately cannot download online. You can purchase the disc online, or go to an Apple store physically. If you go to an apple store they usually would be able to assist you to load the disc also
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks, ***** *****'t live close to any Apple stores so not sure what to do really.
You could order it online, let me link you
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard Assuming your hardware meets these requirements, shouldn't be a problem to install: MacMac computer with an Intel processor5 GB free hard drive space1 GB RAMDVD drive for installation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Memory says 512 mb DDR SDRAM
Ah, so wouldn't be possible to upgrade then...
options would be to add 512 additional ram