Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My windows 7 PC 64 bit does not open my Nexus 10 tablet. It

My windows 7 PC 64...
My windows 7 PC 64 bit does not open my Nexus 10 tablet. It says there is not a driver, but it can't download one.
Help.
9/29/2013
Nick H.
Nick H., IT Specialist
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

Is this the first time you are connecting your Nexus 10 to computer?

Is your Nexus at the lock screen? Or is it showing the Home screen now?

Nick

No I have had it about 10 month..

What do you mean by lock screen? I can see the home screen and the tablet opens etc. on my wife's W 7 PC.

Thanks Bill.

Please disconnect your Nexus 7. Power it off. Turn your tablet back on. Reboot your computer. Connect it back to computer. Does it recognize your tablet now?

Nick

I have tried this several times with no results.

Thanks Bill.

Please try to connect your Nexus 10 to another USB port. See if it will be recognized by your computer.

If that does not work, Open the Notification area (swipe down from top). Open USB option/Settings. What mode is selected now?

Nick

It says Wi-Fi.

I think the problem is my PC not the tablet as my wife's PC which is 6 feet away detects the tablet just fine etc.

I am not trying to connect via Wi Fi but via a USB2 port.

I have also tried three cables.

Thanks Bill.

That means it could be a problem with driver as you said there was an error about driver.

When was the last time it worked for you?

Nick

I am not sure.

It has been several months - maybe.

In the meantime this PC has been up graded from XP to W 7 professional.

I am not sure that the PC upgrade is before or after the previous last successful Nexus 10 connection. But I think the last connection which was a successful connection was before the upgrade.

Thanks Bill.

Usually the driver should automatically pushed to computer. Let me find a driver for your computer.

Nick

do it and tell me how to install it or is it just a link where I can download it (tomorrow)

So what happened?

Sure Bill. I am looking for Windows 7 64bit driver.

OK

Bill,

You can save this page to your Favorites or Bookmarks. Then come back tomorrow by clicking the saved link. I will post driver and instructions.

Nick
Bill,

Please click START and type Device Manager in the search field and press Enter. Scroll download Universal Serial Bus Controllers. You will need to expand it and see USB Host. There maybe 3 or more on the list. Right click and select Uninstall. Do the same until all are uninstalled.

Right click on USB Controllers again and select Scan for hardware changes. When done, they will come back. Connect your tablet to computer. See if it will be recognized.

Nick
Bill,

If the last method did not work, we can try to use this FixIt from Microsoft. CLICK HERE to download and run the tool.

Nick
Nick:

neither fixed the problem.
I think you tried so thanks.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

The Nexus 10 should automatically push the driver to your computer. This could be a problem with USB driver on your computer that prevent it to install driver.

You might want to update the Service pack or run a Windows Update. Reboot and test again. If still not work, you might want to consider reinstall Windows.

Please feel free to come back and reply if you still have issues. Kindly rate my answer so I can get credit. Thank you!

Nick

I will try this, but I've about given up.

By the way, Microsoft no longer supports " fix it".

And removing the USB controllers seemed like a good idea until one of them turned out to be the mouse. I have probably 20 USB controllers - not three- and they each must be separately uninstalled..

Bill,

Please look for the USB Root Hub do you see on the list? We just need to uninstall them. Yes it will be affecting the USB mouse as well. However, you can uninstall first 2 or 3 then scan. And uninstall the next one. This will help us reinstall the USB drivers for your computer.

Did you try to connect your Nexus 10 to other USB ports. I just want to see if any of them will work.

Nick

You are on the right track.

I went to "Driver Hub" and for $39.97 they told me that I had 24 very out of date USB drivers. So I paid the money and they updated all the out

of date USB drivers. I thought Ah Ha that ought to do the job. It didn't.

I searched the error codes, first 43 - the USB drivers errors. That's how I found Driver Hub.

So the next error is Code 28 I did that too. Didn't cost anything.

No help. Yes I have tried other USB ports, that didn't help either. The PC shows the Nexus 10 tablet as a connected device so it is detected. Just no driver. There are tool kits for app developers, that have drivers and they unlock the tablet. This is way over my head so I don't go there.

I am ready to give up. Google does not have a help desk that I could find!

Thanks for your update Bill.

How about do a Windows Update? Or Windows 7 upgrade SP1?

Nick
Nick H.
Nick H., IT Specialist
Nick H.
Nick H.
Nick H., IT Specialist