LKT
LKT, Network Admin
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

I have a Motorola new router/modem for my network at home.

I have a Motorola new router/modem for my network at home. I also have a smart samsung tv. The computers connect to the internet find, but the smart tv has intermittent problems. There is a password (20 characters) on the modem and each time I access netflix on the tv, I have to type it in again. Is there something I need to do so the tv can access the internet as quickly as the computers?

LKT :

Hello and thank you for your question.

LKT :

It looks like many Samsung TV owners experience this problem from time to time. The fix is to make sure that the new router uses WPA2 Personal as the password XXXXX and that you type in the SSID (wireless network name) manually when setting it up on the tv.

Customer:

The router does use WPA2 as the password XXXXX I did not type the SSID in manually as it was already listed as the network name when prompted to connect. Should I type the SSID number in instead?

LKT :

Yes, even though it shows up type it in instead.

Customer:

okay will try now.

LKT :

Ok, let me know how it goes. Thanks

Customer:

the ssid is motorola-38947a. the name of the modem. is that correct?

LKT :

It should be the same name that the tv found automatically.

Customer:

I need a dash on the keyboard and cannot locate it.

LKT :

Try changing the ssid on the router to something without a dash.

Customer:

I tried that and it did not work

LKT :

What did not work?

Customer:

typing the router name in without the dash

LKT :

Were you able to go into the router's settings and change the ssid?

Customer:

No. I should go into the router and change the settings? Can I do that? It is a router/modem - combination router modem

LKT :

Yes, you should.

LKT :

What is the model of your router?

Customer:

motorola-389a7

LKT :

Is that the only model number on the box, can you check for others?

Customer:

motorola surfboard extreme wireless cable modem and gigabit router

Customer:

SBG6580 series

LKT :

Ok, try going to this webpage: http://192.168.0.1 and log in with username admin and passowrd: motorola

LKT :

Let me know once you have signed in

LKT :

Once you are logged in you should be able to go to Network> Primary Network> and change the wireless network name here

Customer:

okay. will do and get back to you.

Customer:

logged in. The website is accessing the data from my network? sorry for the stupid questions. I have a degree in computer science, however, it is from 1983

Customer:

There is nothing that says Network. Primary Network.

LKT :

Okay, so you've logged in, do you see any options for wireless network, network or the such?

LKT :

The webpage you are on is the graphical user interface for the router's settings.

Customer:

It worked. I had to refresh my network connection on my computer to access my new network name.

Customer:

Now I should try the tv?

LKT :

Yes, please.

Customer:

Okay. May take awhile.

LKT :

No problem. I'll standby.

Customer:

Will my login and password XXXXX Motorola always be admin, password? In case I need to repeat the process?

LKT :

It will be admin motorola, until you change it, if you want.

Customer:

great. thanks so much.

LKT :

You're welcome.

Customer:

let me try the tv now.

LKT :

Ok

Customer:

well, the setup is complete, but it will not connect to the internet

Customer:

on the tv

Hello Barbara,

I saw your other question come through but it looks like it was marked as a duplicate. I think your idea to connecting through a wired connection is a great idea. I understand the TV is nowhere near the modem so I highly suggest you use a PowerLine adapter. Basically this device connects to your normal power outlet near the modem and one near the tv to get a wired internet connection. Here is a good example of the device I am speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Compact-Powerline-Ethernet-TPL-406E2K/dp/B008F537KC/ref=lp_1194444_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380279284&sr=1-2

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Philip

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Now, will my computers still be able to access the internet, if I plug the modem into this adapter as opposed to connecting the modem to the computer? Or do I need two connections to the computer?

Your computers and other equipment should work properly, you will just be using one Ethernet connection of the four on your router/modem. Nothing will be affected.

Thanks,

Philip