Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Hi. I have a home office. One laptop (mine) on which I support

numerous clients, and another laptop...
Hi. I have a home office. One laptop (mine) on which I support numerous clients, and another laptop, supplied to me by a client, which runs on a VPN connection. I want to share my printer and my fabulous (albeit old-ish) large monitor between the two laptops. What's my best solution for sharing the devices? A docking station? BTW -- I'm running Windows 2007 on both laptops.
9/10/2013
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Yes, you need a docking station or Peripheral switch. I like to recommend Belkin's SOHO KVM switches which come in many variations. The models differ by how many computers you can connect (two or four), which type of monitor input is supported (VGA or DVI), and which type of peripheral is supported (USB and/or PS/2).

Regards
Jins

Thank you for your quick response! As I need to connect two computers, the monitor is VGA, and the peripherals are USB, can you point me to a Belkin switch that may be best for my needs? Thank you!

The Soho KVM Switch is suitable for you. Please click here to see suitable switches from different manufacturers on Ebay.

regards
Jins

===========================================================================================================

Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator

Although I approved your answer a few minutes ago, gave a rating, and authorized payment...I do have another question.

I need to network together my 2 laptops, a monitor and a printer. But the links to the products you provided don't seem to offer connections between printers? It appeared they were laptop to dual monitors for the most part? I need 2 laptops connected to one large monitor and one printer. Thanks.

With this Soho KVM Switch you can share your display with the two laptops. That model contains a builtin usb hub which allows you to share peripheral devices with those two computers. Pleasec check the Features section of the product.

Please check this tutorial also.

Regards
Jins

Excellent...thank you!

Thank you very much for the positive rating. Remember us, when you need any assistance again. Your business is very valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/ Now let me file this question as closed.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator