Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Yahoo screen name--changing it.

Yahoo screen name--changing it.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/30/2013
Martin, System Administrator

Martin :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Martin :

If I understand correctly you'd like to make sure that if you change your screen name you will be able to receive email at your old address, right?

Customer: Great. It looked like i could follow the yahoo instructions. But not sure what happens to e-mail while i'm going among mobile devices changing screen names.
Martin :

Great, basically what they offer to change is your display name for their many services, for example if you chat on Yahoo your screen name will usually come up as your actual username but you have an option to change that, as they suggested

Martin :

Your actual email address will always remain the same unless you create a new account

Customer: Concerned that i'll miss something if i don't get it all done at once--several mobile devices.
Martin :

So no need to worry about people not being able to reach you

Martin :

Your new screen name will also come up on Yahoo answers if it's something you use

Martin :

It's a method they use for allowing you to use usernames that might otherwise be taken and at the same time a good security measure, as the public will not be able to see your actual username other than the people you email

Customer: Don't understand. I had parallel screen names: mblop @ yahoo.com, mblop @ gmail.com, mblop @ icloud.com. Leaving icloud the same. Changed gmail by setting up second account and discontinuing original one. But yahoo says you can't have 2 accounts. I don't chat, only do e-mail.
Martin :

Ok, let me explain

Martin :

It's one thing to change your screen name and another to change your username (which cannot be done), your screen name is XXXXX XXXXX avatar type of name that Yahoo allows you to do, if you're trying to get all your email addresses to be the same, "mblop" in this case then you do need them all to be new and separate accounts like you mentioned because they are from different providers

Martin :

But changing your screen name on Yahoo wont change your email to that

Martin :

Providing you want to use mblop @ yahoo.com then you need to have created it with that username in the first place

Martin :

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create two accounts on Yahoo though, I've made more than one in the past

Customer: What i want is to change mblop @ yahoo.com to mblooey @ yahoo.com -- new account name/ user name. Can i do it?
Martin :

If it's not taken then sure

Martin :

But you can't change mblop to another name

Martin :

Only the "display" name or "screen" name which is used in other services Yahoo provides that you're not currently using

Customer: Ok, good. It won't be. The lousey hacker who got the first one is going to need decryption for this one! So how would i go about it?
Martin :

You can create that new account by going here:

Yahoo Registration

Customer: Er, now I don' understand again. ALL i care about is the e-mail name that they got. Want to change it. Doesn't matter if it means setting up a new account and erasing the first one. Can i have a new mwhatever @ yahoo.com? And what do i have to do?
Martin :

Yep, that's exactly what that page I linked you to will let you do

Martin :

But you cannot erase your old one if you don't have access to it unfortunately

Martin :

You can make a new account with the name you suggested, providing it's not already taken by someone else

Martin :

And use it like you would have the other

Customer: Good. We keep passing each other. Thanks. If i change it on my pc, at what pont do i have to start changing it on mobile devices. I mean. So i can't get rid of my old account? E-mail sent to it would just be bounced, or what?
Martin :

I would suggest you change it immediately so you get access to the new Yahoo account as soon as possible

Martin :

And since you won't be using the old one anymore, it's useless to keep it on the mobile devices

Customer: So, to review: i go to yahoo registration and set up new account, then start typing the new one into my mobile devices. Eventually i'll have them all--i have 6--on the same yahoo account. Will yahoo give me any trouble? Their info said you can't have 2 accounts.
Martin :

That's exactly right and as far as I know, I've been able to create multiple Yahoo accounts on the same day, you might get prompted to type in a captcha code more than once but that's about it

Martin :

It's mainly to prove that you're human and not a web robot

Customer: Great. I have to change yahoo on 30 additional accounts. If some company sends me word of a bargain on the old e-mail, what happens to it? Sent back undeliverable?
Martin :

The old email will remain active unless you manually remove it or let it expire which happens alone after some time of not using it

Customer: Cool. Thanks and await your smileys!
Martin, System Administrator
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus, Mary!

Have a lovely day :)
Martin, System Administrator
Martin, System Administrator