Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Two routers connected together, connectivity issues on all

ends now....
Two routers connected together, connectivity issues on all ends now.
8/20/2013
Jason Jones, Network Technician

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask how they are "connected together" and which types of issues are you having?

Router A is hooked up to my modem in the basement. Router B is hooked up LAN to LAN from the basement to the first floor. Router B is set up as a Router, instead of a gateway.

Wireless is working pretty well with this setup. (I hooked up Router B to improve signal quality on the second floor.) However, the other LAN ports on Router A aren't working too well.

Thank you for the update.

I am a bit confused. You stated that Router B is setup as a router instead of a gateway; however, a router is the same thing as a gateway.

How about this, may I remote into the computer you are on now, which will allow me to see the network topology and get this working for you?

I can't allow that unfortunately. However, in the "Advanced router settings" it's set as a router instead of a gateway. http://nvsx.net/i/jV4BO.png

Okay, you do not have to do anything in that area of the configuration.

I assume that router a has the lan ip of 192.168.1.1

On the 2nd router, you will have to do the following:
- Disconnect the routers from each other
- Plug a computer into Router B
- Turn the power to Router B on
- Push the reset button on the back of Router B with a paperclip for 30 seconds and let go
- Go to http://192.168.1.1
- On the main SETUP page, change the ROUTER Address (LAN IP) to 192.168.1.250 AND disable the DHCP server
- Click the Save Settings button
- Now plug Router A Lan into Router B lan
- Plug a computer into Router A or B.
- Go to 192.168.1.250
- Click the wireless link and set up the wireless link as you wish.

I actually have router b set to 192.168.1.2, however I did forget to disable the dhcp server.

Should I have no problem connecting to LAN on router a now?

That is correct. You should not have any problems.

Not disabling the DHCP server will cause a whole heap of problems.

Please, do not forget to rate me below.

If you have any issues later on, please, let me know.
Jason Jones, Network Technician
Jason Jones, Network Technician