Sean_A_M
Sean_A_M, Network Administrator
Experience:  Experienced in routers,modems,network cables, wifi
74914698

How do I get rid of Piggybackers on my network? My wireless

How do I get rid of Piggybackers on my network? My wireless was not operational, now it is.

Sean_A_M :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you with your networking problem. How can I assist you today ?

Customer:

My wireless connection was not operational. Now it is and has a number of piggybackers, causing me access problems to Firefox.

Sean_A_M :

It sounds like your wireless was turned on without your knowledge and people are connecting to it and using your internet bandwidth without permission, is this correect ?

Customer:

Yes. That is the likely answer. How to get rid of them and turn my wireless connection off?

Sean_A_M :

OK....it sounds like you need to login to the router, turn off the wireless and change the administration password XXXXX the router. what model of router do you have ?

Customer:

As sad as it seems, I do not know my router information, nor password. It was all set up by my ISP Okinawa Cable Network and NTT.

Sean_A_M :

do you have physical access to the router ?

Customer:

Yes.

Sean_A_M :

ok please check the router for a manufacturer name and model number please

Customer:

It is all Japanese.

Sean_A_M :

I am sorry, you will need to contact your isp for the information on the router. You may be able to temporarily turn off the wifi by resetting the router with a reset button (usually there is a recessed button on the back of the router to do a reset). That may only be a temporary fix (if someone hacked into it once by having the factory password XXXXX the router they may be able to do it again) and it risks taking down your internet connection

The only other way I can think (and this may not be possible) but if your router has an antenna that can unscrew from the router (some have removable antennas) you might be able to unscrew the antenna

Sean_A_M :

without an antenna hackers cannot connect up because the range would be severely shortened

Customer:

I will have to contact the ISP. There is no antenna.

Customer:

Thanks for your assistance.

Customer:

I am disconnection, now.

Sean_A_M :

silly suggestion, in the meantime see about wrapping tinfoil around it