Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

HongKongpom, My PC is running smoothly in this protected

HongKongpom, My PC is running smoothly...
HongKongpom,

My PC is running smoothly in this protected mode. Thanks.

I've replaced my data disk in my PC recently, much faster and bigger. I want to do the same with my System disk. On my system disk I will have just the programs and hibernation/paging file. On my internal datadisk I have the data, including My Documents. Only Outlook data is kept on the system disk (no particular reason). Replace it with a (not much) bigger and faster disk. I will create a multi-boot environment to support my gradual transition from an old-fashioned XP environment into a Windows 7 environment.
I bought myself a Seagate Constellation ES.3 1 TB 128MB SATA3 disk as future system disk. Sata3 is compatible with my current SATA2 environment as you know.
The way I want to go is gradual transition. Meaning that I will install the software on my new system-disk in phases and falling back on my using my current systemdisk in between those phases. So swapping between the old and the new system disk. When the XP/SP3 software and the Micorsoft Offive 2003 software is available on the new disk as well as some additional software like disk management software, eScan as anti-virus/anti-spam and firewall system (and possibly some additional software), I'll copy (or import) the Outlook-files into the new environment and I will start using the new system disk as my system disk.
Any comments on this approach?
I still have the XP/SP2 installation CD. All data are backed up to external hard disks. Some data on a daily routine, other far less volatile data on a weekly or monthly routine.
7/5/2013
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your networking question.

Thank you for your email. I'm very pleased to hear that your computer is stable.

Thank you very much indeed for accepting my answer and for the bonus it is very much appreciated.

To answer this new question. I would use a Seagate tool called "DiscWizard' to clone your system disk to your new disk. This way you can do things in stages as you want to.

You can read about how to do this here as well as downloading the programme.

IMHO, it is much easier to image your old disk rather than starting afresh with reinstalling programmes. This methodology can bring its own headaches as you then may need the original programme CDs or registration keys in order to activate them again. You would also have lost any programme updates that you will have done along the way.

I hope that this advice helps and please let me know how things turn out or if you have follow up questions.

Best regards,

hkp

Hi hkp,

thanks for the answer. I prefer a clean install to avoid the software issues that still are present in the system.

I kept a directory with all software downloaded and I kept the CD's whenever available. I also kept a file with the passwords, registration numbers etc.

I accept that for some systems I have to go back to the supplier for key's etc. Moreover, when I keep the current system disk intact, in some cases I can retrieve info on the current implementation.

Yes, I agree with you that for some systems I have to apply perhaps many updates. But I'm in no hurry since I still can use the current system (after swapping the system disks that is).

After swapping the sysdisks, I started the XP set-up software. However, the system couldn't see my new sysdisk nor the currently replaced (internal) data disk. It just reported the external disks. How do I solve this? I can run disk management on the new sysdisk using a mini XP bootable CD but is that the proper way?

Thank you for your reply.

Please make sure that you can see the new drive in the BIOS which shows it is being detected.

For safety sake, I would disconnect the data & external drives and just have the new sysdisk plugged in to the motherboard.

If you have the XP installation CD it will take care of the partitioning and formatting of the drive for you. You just need to boot from the installation CD and I recommend that you partition it with NTFS.

If you don't have an installation CD then yes you can use the disk management utility on the bootable CD. This link explains how.

hongkongpom

Hello there I hope that you're having a good weekend.

Something else that I have thought of, is if your computer has a recovery partition or you were given a restore disc when you bought it, you can use that to roll back your C: drive to the day that you bought it home from the shop including the programmes that were installed at the factory. Then you can do all the updates and then image that to the new drive. This would save you time with having to reinstall some programmes.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155995/reinstall_windows.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_disc

Best regards,

hkp

Thanks for the advice!

My pleasure!

Thank you very much indeed for accepting my answer.

A caveat with using the restore disc is that all files that you have created since you bought the computer will be deleted but you have said that you have a full back up so well done on that!

hongkongpom
hongkongpom