hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Techician since 2007
40928634

Hello, I have a Motorola SB4630 connected to cox cable and

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Motorola SB4630 connected to cox cable and a Linksys router that is connected through Ethernet to the Motorola Surfboard Modem/ router. I want to set up my Linksys router in the family room as an access point without having to run an Ethernet cable from Linksys router to the Motorola Modem that is in the other room. The TV, Blu-Ray player and cox receiver are Ethernet capable and wanted to connect to Linksys router thru their Ethernet jacks to the router in ports for Ethernet and run the Linksys router as wireless to my network. How do I go about this?
Category: Networking
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name isCustomerXXXXX I'm here to help you with your networking question.

What is the model of your Linksys router please?

What is the approximate distance between the Cable Modem & Router please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, The Linksys Router is WRT320N.. It will be about 50 feet away from the Motorola SB 4630.

Hello there and thank you for your reply

Yes you can use your router as a Wi-FI "repeater", but you have to change the firmware that is inside the router to enable it to function as a "Repeater Bridge".

These webpages explain the methodology of what is involved and I can help you should you run into any problems:

Here are the instructions for your router.

If you are not comfortable with this procedure, then another option is to use Homeplugs (Ethernet Over Power) to connect the router to your Cable Modem.

Best regards,

hkp