Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My neighbours have unauthorised access to my surveillance cameras.

I use a nightowl dvr...
My neighbours have unauthorised access to my surveillance cameras. I use a nightowl dvr and a netgear router. How do I stop their access?
6/2/2013
Toby K.
Toby K., Network Operations Specialist

Thank you for asking your question today. Since there is unauthorized access to your network and surveilance cameras, I recommend you change your password XXXXX both systems. For the Netgear router, here are the instructions. The first part is the password XXXXX the router configuration. The second part is the wireless password XXXXX is used to access the internet.

FIRST PART:

Login to your router:

1. In your Web browser, navigate to the router login page. With the router at default settings, one or more of the following URLs should work :
http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com
http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1

2. Enter the username (admin) and the password.
• The default password XXXXX XXXXX or for older routers, 1234.
• If you have already changed the default password, use the password XXXXX assigned the router. Passwords are case sensitive.
• If you have already changed the password XXXXX do not remember it, you have to reset the router to factory defaults in order to use the default password.

For the old router interface :
1. Log into your router and select 'Set Password' from the 'Maintenance' section of the left-hand menu. Enter the old and new password XXXXX confirm the new password. Click on the 'Apply' button to save your change.

For new (Netgear Genie) router interface :
1. Log into your router and select ‘Advanced’ and click ‘Administration’ section on the left-hand menu. Click ‘Set Password’ then enter the old and new password, then confirm the new password. Click on the Apply button to save your change.

SECOND PART:

1. From the left-hand menu, select Wireless Settings from the Set Up section.
2. In the Name (SSID) field, enter the network name you want to use.
3. Under Security Options, select a security encryption level, I recommend WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK for the best protection.
4. In the Passphrase field, enter your chosen network password. The Passphrase must be 8 to 63 characters in length.
5. Click the Apply button to save your changes.

Afterwards, I recommened changing the password XXXXX your survellience systems and/or DVR. Once you make these changes, your neighbor will be immediately kicked off and prevented some accessing it any longer.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

Thank you very much. One other question -how do I change the password XXXXX the dvr?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Night Owl DVR's. Here is a link to download a user manual by model number (probably located on the back or bottom of DVR unit):

http://www.nightowlsp.com/Support/Downloads

I hope this helps.
Toby K.
Toby K., Network Operations Specialist
Toby K.
Toby K.
Toby K., Network Operations Specialist