Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

My question is, Is the FTP Protocol used to transfer files

My question is, Is the FTP Protocol used to transfer files like video's picture's, powerpoint file's from one computer to another computer.

Yes, the function of FTP protocol is to transfer files. Of course, the computer/server that hosts the files must first set up the FTP server.

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SO IF THIS ONE COMPUTER HAVE TO HAVE THE FTP SERVER SET UP ON THIS COMPUTER, THEN I CAN TRANSFER FILES FROM THE FTP SERVER OF THAT COMPUTER TO THE FTP CLIENT COMPUTER RIGHT.
Specifically, the client computer is going to download/transfer the files from the ftp server computer. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SO FOR EXAMPLE, IF I HAVE A FTP SERVER AND A FTP CLIENT, THE FTP CLIENT IS GOING TO TRANSFER THE FILES THAT ARE HOSTED ON THE FTP SERVER BACK TO THE FTP CLIENT RIGHT.
Yes, you got it exactly right. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My question is when you use the FTP client to connect to the FTP Server, is the FTP client going to initiate a connection to the FTP server using port 21.
After the control connection is established for the FTP Server, is the ftp protocol going to open a second connection for port 20 to allow files to be transfered from the FTP client to the FTP Server.
Yes, ftp uses two ports: Port 21 is for the command or control, and port 20 is for transferring the data. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So basicly the ftp client is going to opean a connection to the ftp server using port 21 and after the control connection is established for the ftp server, then it is going to use port 20 to opean a connection to the ftp client to allow the transfer of data right.
Yes, that is correct. Port 21 is for opening a connection session, and port 20 is for transferring data. Thank you