Final Project Overview and Timeline
Final Project Overview
In the final project, you play the role of a network consultant hired to design a new network for a company called Acme Manufacturing. Acme expects a network design document that includes your recommendations.
The organization is growing and expanding their operations with the acquisition of a plant in China as well as several other offices throughout the United States. The following are the requirements for the new wide area network.
• The network should be designed using all new equipment.
• The design document must recommend the types of lines that should be used for each location (i.e. Ethernet, fiber, satellite, and so forth).
• There are multiple departments that must be grouped logically to address security. Locations:
o Headquarters—Atlanta, Georgia
• Houses corporate operations, marketing, administrative staff, and accounting
o Engineering—Atlanta, Georgia (across the street from the headquarters building office)
• Houses sales and engineering
o Distribution offices—Chicago, Phoenix, and New York
• Each distribution office has a small sales staff as well as administrative staff.
o Plant facility—China
• Weekly meetings are held in the corporate conference room at headquarters, with people attending from multiple locations, including China, New York, Chicago, and Phoenix.
Read Appendix A.
Develop a plan to set up a WAN based on the scenario in Appendix A. Your plan must include the following:
• An overview of the company and its needs
• A logical network drawing for Acme to depict the recommended WAN
• Recommendations for the type of leased lines the company must choose at each location, how each location connects to headquarters, and whether or not each location must be able to connect with the others
• Recommendations for what type of telecommunications system would work best for Acme, PBX or VoIP
• The IP address
scheme, including the range of IP addresses, broadcast addresses, and subnets
• A VLAN to appropriately address Acme’s concerns that departments that are not grouped together are logically connected
• Recommendations for network equipment that must be placed at each location; also, consider equipment based on teleconferencing needs
• Protocols used for the routers at each location
• Recommendations for wireless technology
• Recommendations for securing the network
Create a 700- to 1,050-word network design document addressing each of Acme’s requirements with your recommendations.
Format consistent with APA guidelines.
Post your design document as a Microsoft® Word attachment.