Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How can I change the host name on my HP Envy printer? The

How can I change the...
How can I change the host name on my HP Envy printer? The default name is 'new-host'. I would like to name it 'hp envy' for example. Thank you.
1/9/2013
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

you should be able to follow the below steps to change the hostname on the HP-Envy

Steve Herrod :

1. Type the printer's IP Address (or current hostname) into the address bar of an internet browser and press Enter, this should load a page about your printer.

2. Click on the Network tab.

3. Click on Hostname on the left-hand side

Steve Herrod :

You can then amend the hostname to whatever you wish

Steve Herrod :

Let me know how that goes

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hi Steve,

Customer:

Yes this worked. Thank you.

Customer:

I also have a Nest Thermostat. Would this be a similar process to rename that device?

Customer:

I have the IP address for the thermostat but nothing pulls up, the page just hangs.

Customer:

Thank you,

Customer:

Paul

Steve Herrod :

Hi Paul, yes in theory it would be exactly the same for the thermostat

Steve Herrod :

although some devices can have 'flaky' web interfaces and work best in Internet Explorer for example

Steve Herrod :

I'l just on way home right now but will be back in front of laptop in 30 mins so can double check for Nest then and let you know

Customer:

Gotcha, yep I'm using a Mac (Safari).

Steve Herrod :

no problem - will update you in 30 mins or so....

Customer:

Great, Thanks Steve.

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome!

Steve Herrod :

apologies - got slightly held up

Steve Herrod :

The nest thermostat functions slightly differently

Steve Herrod :

once the device is connected to Wi-Fi and connected to an online nest account

Customer:

Hi Steve, yes I have it connected and I have an online account. It looks like I can change the name through the online account. I'll give it a try.

Steve Herrod :

should be under Settings there but I believe it might be restricted to several choices they provide

Steve Herrod :

but should help

Customer:

Looks like just the location name vs the device name, perhaps the same thing?

Steve Herrod :

yes - should be the same based on their support pages

Customer:

It looks like my airport utility is labeling it by it's serial # XXXXX its name. Not sure I can this...

Customer:

'change'

Steve Herrod :

no, I don't think you can modify that - checking on mine but nothing seems to allow that

Customer:

Thanks for checking. Excellent service.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

happy to help

Steve Herrod :

let me know if you need anything at all

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, System Administrator