Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I recently switched from a local broadband catv service to

Fios. Before this I had...
I recently switched from a local broadband catv service to Fios. Before this I had a cat5 line connecting my samsung plasma tv to a wireless router so I could access video files on a network attached storage device. I cannot see or access these files now. Can someone help me figure out what I need to do?????
12/20/2012
Danh
Danh, System Administrator
Are the tv and network attached storage connected to the new fios router with a cat5 line?

Yes they are both connected with cat5 line. I can see the NAS and access files through my wireless network from my laptop.

can you tell if the tv is actually on the network? If possible, get the IP address to the TV and also the IP address to the NAS. I want to see if they are on the same subnet.

yes I can see TV IP is as follows:

NAS 192.168.1.3

TV 192.168.1.4

try rebooting the nas, then wait a few minutes and go back into the TV and scan for files.

I will try it

Let me know how it goes...the tv would need to access the nas over DLNA. A computer doesn't need this. I'm thinking the DLNA service on the nas may not be running. What kind of nas is it?

You were right DLNA was not running. It is a WD world book. Reboot took care of the primary issue..some of the videos will not play. I get an error message saying unsupported codec. I might try to update codec on TV.

Yea..that's what I suspected. I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction.
Danh
Danh, System Administrator
Danh
Danh
Danh, System Administrator