Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How can I establish if my Belkin router was set up with a password?

The laptop downstairs picks up...
How can I establish if my Belkin router was set up with a password? The laptop downstairs picks up the Belkin Wi Fi without a password XXXXX the Kindle, obtained today, requests a password (it won't accept a blank response).

The Wi-Fi name is "Belkin_G_PLUS_MIMO_ADSL"

Thank you

John Bamfield
12/6/2012
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

There are several different models of Belkin routers, so I'm going to provide more generic instructions for a couple of different ways to access the wireless password. If they don't work, please let me know the exact model number of your Belkin router and I'll happy to provide more specific instructions:

1. Open your web browser on the computer that is able to access your WiFi network and go to this address: http://router/ or http://192.168.2.1/ (whichever works).

2. Log in with a blank user name and password (unless you've changed this, in which case you should use the password XXXXX set, but if you don't know what this is please respond to me here and let me know and we'll deal with a lost or missing router login password).

3. Click on the link named Channel and SSID under Wireless.

4. Write down the SSID listed. This is the name of your wireless network.

5. Click on the link named Security under Wireless.

6. Write down your Security Mode, Encryption Technique, and Pre-Shared Key (PSK) (the pre-shared key should be your password).

7. Click on the link labeled MAC Address Filtering under Firewall and check to ensure that this feature is not enabled. If it is, it might prevent new devices from connecting to your wireless network.

If you have any questions about this, would like further clarification, or if this doesn't work to your satisfaction, please respond to me here and I'll be happy to continue to address your concerns or questions.

I get a table (with a blank password) which gives the

SSID as Belkin_G_PLUS_MIMO_ADSL

and Security as WPA2-PSK

but nothing in the table is live. If I key on any heading - nothing happens

Is there anything in the Pre-Shared Key (PSK) field, or does your router have this field? Also, when you look at the list of available wireless networks from one of your computers, does your wireless network show up as secured, password XXXXX or with a lock next to it in the list?

can't see a PSK field

main headings are

Version info

Features

ADSL

LAN Settings (includes LAN MAC Address)

WLAN Settings

Internet Settings

Well, your settings should be under WLAN Settings. If you don't find it there right away, I'll need to know the model number of your Belkin router. They tend to start with an F and are followed by a 5, 7, or 9, then another letter, then four (4) more numbers.

no response from any part of the table

router model no is F5D9630-4

Is there a submodel number on it? I'm seeing the following as options:

• 1000

• 3000

• 4000

• 5000

ver 4002UK

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here. Do you see a link, either on the top of the page or down the left side, labeled Wireless? If so, click on it, then on Security to get your wireless key. If you don't see it, double check to see which of the wireless networks this computer is connected to and let me know which one it is.

Daughter wants to get back on the laptop.

I'call it a day - thanks for your help

You're most welcome. If you would like to continue with this at a later time, please just respond to me again here and I'll be happy to continue with you when I'm online and available. If you run into any dead-ends, I would suggest connecting a computer directly to the router with a network (ethernet) cable and trying to access the router using my prior instructions from there, as I suspect that you're having a problem with which wireless network your're connected to.
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin