Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Trying to access wifi connection on Kindle Fire. The password

Trying to access wifi connection...
Trying to access wifi connection on Kindle Fire. The password XXXXX think should work doesn't.
What can I do?
7/31/2012
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

The password XXXXX the Amazon website is referring to is the 'lock' screen password, not Wifi. Don't worry about that you can enter the WiFi password XXXXX numerous times and the Kindle will not reset.

Now, we need to find out what your actual WiFi password XXXXX Can you tell me what model of wireless router you have there?

Cisco Linksys E2000

OK the first thing we will try is logging into the E2000 and recovering the password XXXXX it. Here is what I want you to try. Please let me know if you get stuck on a step and we will work through it together. Thanks!

1. CLICK HERE to access the configuration page
    of the E2000.

2. When
    prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
    These are the default values and may not work on your router. Please let me know if they do not.

3. When
    the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here
    your wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. Make
    sure this name matches the network you are trying to join.

4. Next
    click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be
    displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in
    the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the
    Pre-Shared Key box (may also be called the Passphrase box).

5. Enter
    that password XXXXX your Kindle when prompted and you should get connected
    to your network.

Did step 2, clicked enter.....nada
Does the prompt return? Or did you get an Unauthorized message? Either way, please try again but this time type admin for both the username and password. Let me know if that gets you in.
Lordy. I know the Cisco system psswd, so I entered it and opened the site. It said the psswd to use is the one i've been using to access a site called Dizzy Cheetah, but this psswd DOES NOT WORK WHEN I try to access a different wifi site.

I apologize most folks don't know their Cisco system password XXXXX we try the defaults first. OK when you say a different WiFi site what are you referring to? I assume that Dizzy Cheetah is the name of your WiFi network so the password XXXXX see there would only work on the Dizzy Cheetah network. If you are referring to other WiFi networks then their passwords would be different.

Are you trying to join the Kindle to the Dizzy Cheetah WiFi network and that password XXXXX XXXXX working? Please confirm.

so how do i determine passwords for other networks? we are going overseas in a few days, and i want to be able to use the Kindle Fire there. Do I have a chance of that happening? W/O a clue.

Gotcha. In most place the Wifi will either be unprotected (meaning you will not need a password) or there will be a password XXXXX to you.

For instance, if you go to a hotel with Wifi, they will either present you with a card with your password XXXXX it, or the password XXXXX be in the guest services book in the room.

At coffee shops and restaurants, the WiFi is generally unprotected, but the first Internet page you open will have a contract that you have to agree to (I will not abuse this system, etc.).

Does that information make sense? The only time you should have any trouble is if you are trying to connect to someone's private WiFi and they don't give you the password.

thank you. Got the job done.
Excellent thank you! Please let me know if you need anything else by clicking the Reply to Expert button. Have a good one!
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Erik B.
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin