Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

I am unable to connect wirelessly with my netgear modem/ro

I am unable to connect wirelessly with my netgear modem/router
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

What device are you trying to connect to your wireless network?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
trying to connect compaq presario laptop to netgear model 7550 modem/wireless router combo. software is windows 7 home premium

Thank you!. Do you have another computer with Windows 7 or Mac OS (which one?) that can currently connect to your internet via wireless? This would help to confirm your wireless network password.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

unfortunately no, just this one computer, but here's what i can give you:

network name: jcsnet

password XXXXX WEP access: bears

IPv4 address: 192.168.254.15

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.254.254

OK, that password XXXXX't seem good.

Please follow ALL the steps below from your old computer already connected to the wireless network and you will see the password:

1- Click here ---> 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net

2- Default username is admin and password XXXXX password

3- Once logged in, click Wireless Settings

4- Your network key (passphrase, Key 1, or pre-shared key) will be under "Security Options". If you see more than one password XXXXX with all of them from your new computer with Windows 7.

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7:

1- Please click Start, then Control Panel

2- Now click "View by: Large icons"

3- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- Click "Connect to a Network"

5- A list of wireless networks will show up. Please select your network name and then click "Connect"

6- IF you are prompted to enter a network password, enter the password XXXXX just got from your other computer.

I cordially request that you do not take a correct answer as a bad or poor answer.

Please ONLY select "Good or Excellent Service" below (and then click Submit) so I can get a positive feedback in justanswer.com. If you are not ready to do so, do NOT leave me any feedback, just click "REPLY TO EXPERT"

Thank you

John C.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I only have this one computer- no "old" one that is connected wirelessly. I tried the links you provided from this computer (it is connected to the internet with ehternet cable tot he modem), but the numXXXXX XXXXXnks could not be displayed, and the routerlogin.net site (netgear's support site) says I should have a "smartwizard" program for set up that I do not have.

OK, that's probably because the person that installed the router changed its default settings.

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

2- Now click "View by: Large icons"

3- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

4- Click "Connect to a Network"

5- A list of wireless networks will show up. Please select your network ("Netgear" or "Wireless") and then click "Connect"

It should work now. I cordially request that you do not take a correct answer as a bad or poor answer.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all this (router and modem are all one unit), and still no wireless connection. My wireless network doesn't show up in the available networks box. 3 others (nieghbor's) do, but not mine. I know my wireless network name and password, the installer had me pick them, but they are not available. The router/modem indicator lights are all "go"- DSL solid green, wireless solid green. My computer just isn't picking up the signal for some reason
Please follow the steps below to refresh the IP addresses of your network:

1- Turn off your wireless router/modem (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

2- Turn off your computer(s)

3- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

4- Wait 60 seconds

5- Turn them all ON again.

6- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

7- Try to connect now.

Does it work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Want me to unhook the ethernet cable from the laptop, or leave it?

You can leave it, no problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, still no luck. I've got to sign off for now so I can get up early for work tomorrow. I'll check back with you tomorrow evening after work. Thanks a lot for your time and help!

You are very welcome!