Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

Dell laptop with McAfee - Can't get it activated.

I bought a Dell laptop with McAfee, but I can't get it activated. It asks for my   password   but I do not know that I have set a   password   for McAfee. I had a MaAfee account in the past, but I do not remember what that   password   was.

Welcome to JustAnswer

Can you tell me exactly when it is asking you for a password? What exactly are you doing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I turn on computer, I get an "activate McAfee" prompt. It asks if I have an existing account or need new account. I have tried both and but in passwords that I thought might be former McAfee passwords, but nothing works under either option. I can't seem to set a password ***** will activate McAfee protection.

There is a bug that can occur with the renewal process. There is also a procedure from McAfee on resolving this.

It is pretty extensive and you need to follow each of the steps carefully. The procedure can be found here http://tinyurl.com/6nrey4j

Can you follow it through and if you get stuck on any step, or still have problems after completing it, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I got to Solution 1, step 2, I get asked for my McAfee password. I have tried what I think my password may have been so often that my McAfee account is now locked. I can't proceed with the steps that you directed me to. I am so frustrated with McAfee. If I have an account, why can't I get an email with my password or allowed to set a new one?

I can provide you the number to contact McAfee or provide a free alternative to McAfee that is even better protection. Let me know which you wish for please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. Can you do both, provide a McAfee contact number, and the alternative. I have paid for the McAfee with my computer purchase and would prefer to use it. If using the contact number does not work, then I would be willing to pursue the other alternative.

You can call McAfee on(###) ###-####between 6am - 6pm Pacific time.

The alternative is actually free (if you are not a business). It is the free home edition of Avira which you can download here www.avira.com

If you have any difficulties, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still trying to contact McAfee. My week was very busy and I need to be at home as that is where my personal computer is located. I will contact and rate your responses as soon as I can get McAfee to give me my old password ***** a way to input a new one. Many thanks for your help so far. I am encouraged that a solution may be in the offing.

Thank You Owen and no problem.
All the best and let me know how it goes please.