Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a Belkin N300 wireless adaptor Model F9K1002v3 with

Customer Question
passwords, PIN and Security Codes...
I have a Belkin N300 wireless adaptor Model F9K1002v3 with passwords, PIN and Security Codes printed on the base of the adaptor.
I live in a unit and have the Belkin adaptor plugged into the back of a Telstra ADSL2 modem. I have a Dell PC and want to connect my Panasonic TV with Dongle to wireless.
When searching for access points on the TV, the only Belkin-related SSID that comes up is Belkin.140 I've selected this and none of the PINs, Security Codes and Passwords work as an encryption key.
I've changed the Belkin.140 to Belkin.300 and tried all the codes again, and nothing works.
Any ideas?
Lindsay Thomas
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
6/17/2012
Network Technician: Drew, Network Specialist replied 5 years ago
Drew
Drew, Network Specialist
Hi Lindsay,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you today. I know first hand how frustrating these issues can be. Thanks for the chance to assist.

Is your Dell PC connected wirelessly? Does it run Windows 7 by chance? If so, we can get the wireless info from it.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Drew
What further information do you require?

My Dell is connected to the internet via an ADSL2 modem. It's running Windows Vista.

The Belkin wireless adapter is plugged into the back of the telco ADSL2 modem and I want to use this to connect to my television to run Skype..

The radio adapter worked until I took the television to a repair shop to fit a videocam and since then I can't access the Belkin adapter.

OK, thanks for the info Linday. I don't have a quick answer for you or time to work on it right now as I'm with other customers. I'll put it in the general queue for another expert. If I get some time and you still do not have a resolution, I'll pick this back up.

Thanks,

Drew
Network Technician: ag346, System Administrator replied 5 years ago
ag346
ag346, System Administrator
Hello Lindsay, my name is Abe and I'd like to see if I can pick up where Drew left off. I've seen a lot of issues where internet ready devices such as TVs, eReaders, etc. sometimes do not support all of the encryption standards available in wifi routers. Even with a correct password and SSID name, the system may give you the impression that the password was incorrect when that's really not the case.

One quick way to test if the encryption standard might be the issue is to temporarily remove the password from the device, simply for testing purposes. If the TV is able to access an internet connection with the encryption off, then we need to look into what encryption standards the TV supports and continue from there.

It won't let me past it asking me to enter a valid encryption code.

I've tried making the security open and with no password, but I still end up with being asked to enter an encryption code.

Can you advise whether a Belkin.140 is 'compatible' with a Belkin.N300. And, is the password or PIN the Encryption Code?

Does the security code on the bottom of the Belkin N300 (WPA/WPA2) satisfied by the display of WPA2-PSK, which the secuirity that Belkin.140 displays for me when I select it?

Your Belkin router supports several types of signals, a/b/g/n, and most consumer-grade routers only broadcast two type of signals at the same time. A typical configuration would be to broadcast b/g on one SSID name. In your case, I assume it might the the Belkin.140 signal name. The second signal would need to be broadcast with a different name, in your case the 'n' might the getting broadcast with the Belkin.N300 name. To answer your question, the Belkin.140 signal uses a different frequency, similar to a radio station for example than your Belkin.N300. The compatibility really needs to be between either broadcast signal and the receiving equipment. In your case, either your Dell PC or or your Panasonic TV.

Here is an example if a valid configuration:

Valid configuration 1:
Belkin wifi broadcast signal b/g > Panasonic wifi receiver accepts signal b/g.
Belkin wifi uses encryption WPA2-PSK > Panansonic wifi receive accepts WPA2-PSK

Valid configuration 2:
Belkin wifi broadcast signal n > Panasonic wifi receiver accepts n
Belkin wifi uses encryption WPA-PSK > Panansonic wifi receive accepts WPA-PSK
If any of the sending and receiving standards do not match, then the system will not work. Here's some examples of an invalid configuration:

Invalid configuration 1:
Belkin wifi broadcast signal n > Panasonic wifi receiver accepts signal b/g.
Belkin wifi uses encryption WPA-PSK > Panansonic wifi receive accepts WPA2-PSK

Valid configuration 2:
Belkin wifi broadcast signal b/g > Panasonic wifi receiver accepts n
Belkin wifi uses encryption WPA2-PSK > Panansonic wifi receive accepts WPA-PSK
We need to verify what the settings on the router are and what the settings on the Panasonic TV are in order to proceed. Let's start with checking the Belkin configuration settings. You will most likley need to access the manual configuration menu found in the web console. Here is a link to the instructions for the web console on your router. http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/MAN_F9K1002_8820-00774_RevA02_N300_N_Router.pdf

They start on page 8.
Once you have the details of how your router is configured, we need to see what wifi standards the Panasonic TV supports and how it is currently configured. If you're not sure how to check that, please send me the model number of the TV/wireless dongle and I can look it up.

Was an item not related to the Belkin/Panasonic interface.

Problem solved by a Windows Vista expert.......Lindsay

Sounds good. Happy to hear everything is working.
ag346
ag346
ag346, System Administrator