Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

my windows 7 LAN will not connect. says unidentified network.

Customer Question
and my wireless connection does...
my windows 7 LAN will not connect. says unidentified network. and my wireless connection does not work. recognizes my AP, but no traffic. i think that both problems are the same.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
5/18/2012
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 5 years ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

dukey01 :

Hi. My name is Byron and I'm happy to assist. You're probably correct in thinking the wireless and PC connection issues are related. Let's try to get the wireless going first. Do you have a PC connected to your router with a network cable and another wireless device available to check that it's functioning correctly?

Customer :

my pc recognizes the AP name. my son's gaming systems use the AP, and its working fine.

dukey01 :

Other than those two devices, what else is connecting to your network?

dukey01 :
Customer :

my pc was on my workgroup network and i was able to transfer files and access the internet. i through some embedded switch, and now nothing. i think we need to go over all of the embedded switches inside nework sharing. i have 3 other computers currently on and connected to the LAN and are talking with each other.

dukey01 :

Are all of the PCs Windows 7 and are they all joined to a Homegroup?

Customer :

my other computers cannot reach my portable computer.

Customer :

they are joined to workgroup, not homegroup. homegroup was imposed by windows 7, not my windows xp or windows 2000. all my computers play nice on workgroup.

Customer :

i tried to change the name of the network, but it would not let me. it was highlighted in red, but it would not let me change from unidentified network to workgroup or any other name.

dukey01 :

Are you trying to change the network name on your laptop?

Customer :

yes, thinking that the name differences - workgroup vs homegroup - is the cause.

Customer :

my DHCP router is also working fine.

dukey01 :

Before I answer, let me make sure I've got the situation correct. What OS is your laptop running?

Customer :

windows 7 on my newly purchased laptop, every other computer is xp and one 2000. BTW, I do not like windows 7.

Customer :

microsoft moved everything around, and hid functions 5 to 6 levels down. bad GUI.

Customer :

i also tried the troubleshooter software, and nothing. why did they bother to write this code?

dukey01 :

I know Win 7 has it's issues. A Homegroup can contain only Win 7 PCs. On your laptop, if you go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center, is that where you are being told you about the unidentified network?

Customer :

please walk me through the wireless and LAN setup. yes, that is where the unidentified network icon and text is showing up.

dukey01 :

OK. Are you running your laptop wirelessly?

Customer :

i clicked on the bench icon, and tried to meander my way through all of the options. nothing.

Customer :

no, its on the lan network now. i don't trust wireless connections until i get everything else working. one problem at a time.

Customer :

BTW, i am an engineer, and this is incredibly frustrating. if i have to, i will wipe out windows 7 and reload xp.

dukey01 :

On your laptop, in Network and Sharing Center/ when you choose Homegroup and sharing options, what options do you have available?

Customer :

i was able to talk to the lan network with no adjustments to the homegroup designation. homegroup talked to workgroup.

Customer :

hold on....

Customer :

both public and private settings basically allow the windows 7 operating system to find its own way. everything is turned on.

Customer :

somewhere i turned the wrong switch, and now i can't even talk to the lan or internet.

dukey01 :

Do you have the option, on your Win 7 laptop, to leave the Homegroup?

Customer :

where is this?

dukey01 :

In Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center your should see the status of the network. There's a section called View your Active Networks.It will list Access Type, Homegroup and Connections on the right. On the left it will say View your active networks

dukey01 :

Homegroup status should say: Ready to Create

Customer :

view active networks = unidentified network; access type = no internet access; connections = local area connection and wireless network connection (default)

Customer :

where do i go to turn on my connections?

dukey01 :

Go to Start and in the Searc Box type wireless connections to Manage wireless networks in the results at the top

Customer :

click on local are connections, i have sent 13K packets, and received 0. click on wireless connection, i have sent 6K packets, and received 0

Customer :

i'm there. now what?

dukey01 :

Is your laptop hooked up to your router with a cable right now?

Customer :

yes. i have both connections.

Customer :

do you want me to disconnect the LAN connection and have only the wireless working?

dukey01 :

It can only be one or the other. Wireless and wired won't work together at the same time. Which do you want to use? Disconnect the network cable from the router and let's use wireless for right now.

Customer :

do i need a WEP code? i have one, but i thought i could get by with default and no encryption.

dukey01 :

I take it that you can see your wireless network in Manage Wireless Connections and you're being told that WEP is the security in place. Is that correct?

Customer :

wired lan connector unplugged. do i need to type in my WEP on the security tab, under wireless network properties?

dukey01 :

If you are being prompted to enter a WEP key, and you have it, please do so.

Customer :

tried internet explorer, still does not work.

Customer :

no prompt. is the 26 character encryption WEP?

Customer :

my choices for security type are foreign to me. which one for WEP support?

dukey01 :

Let's start over. Go to Manage Wireless Networks

dukey01 :
dukey01 :

Do you see your wireless network listed?

Customer :

i'm there

Customer :

yes, it's default for now.

dukey01 :

When you hover your mouse over your network name a pop up will appear giving you network information. Tell me what it says.

dukey01 :

One of the entries will be Security Type. I need to know what that is.

Customer :

no hover works, but if i right mouse click, i get to properties with a connection tab and security tab.

dukey01 :

OK What does that tell you?

Customer :

security tab = no authentication (open); encryption type = none

dukey01 :

OK. In Manage Wireless Networks, if you select your wireless network, do you have the option to Disconnect or Connect?

Customer :

no, it says automatically connect.

dukey01 :

Disconnect from your wireless network.

Customer :

how?

Customer :

should i remove it? that's not the same as disconnect.

dukey01 :

Do you have the Manage Wireless Networks window open?

Customer :

there's no hardware switch to turn off the wireless connection

Customer :

yes.

dukey01 :

With your wireless network selected, you should have the option to either connect or disconnect.

dukey01 :
Customer :

when i highlight it, i have no option. do i right mouse click and then go to properties.

Customer :

it just says automatically connected, and i can't change it.

dukey01 :

OK. If you're connected to it and there is no wireless security in place, what happens when you open your browser?

Customer :

ie cannot display the webpage

Not sure what happened with the chat. We'll have to do it this way. I think you would be better served by an expert with remote connection capability, which I do not have. I'll opt out of this question and open it up to one of them.
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 5 years ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician
Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Please, follow the instructions below on the problem computer:
- Click the Start Button
- Type: CMD
- Hit Enter
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ipconfig
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard
- What is shown for the IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway?
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 4.2.2.3
- What does it say, replies or request timed outs?
- In the blackbox, type the following and press Enter: ping red.com

Jason Jones, Network Technician