Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

With Magic Jack Plus do you have to have a wireless router

Customer Question
with a dsl service or...
With Magic Jack Plus do you have to have a wireless router with a dsl service or is it better to use the Mgic Jack connected to a box router with DSL?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Networking
5/9/2012
Network Technician: TechGrant, System Administrator replied 5 years ago
TechGrant
TechGrant, System Administrator

TechGrant :

You will be better off using the WIRED ethernet connection, please take a look at this review it has some good details on what you will be getting.

TechGrant :

If I have answered your question please hit accept. Thanks

TechGrant
TechGrant, System Administrator

Ok , Thanks.

Audrey

Can I use with Magic Jack an ethernet splitter so it will stay connected only to ethernet and not use USB when I am on the internet? My Magic Jack feels very warm to touch on ethernet to power source? Is this normal?

Thanks,

Audrey

Well using a splitter normally isnt a good idea, not sure on your current setup with it, but there is two ways of having it connected. Straight to the PC connected via USB or take it from the Router/Switch ethernet port and the USB is plugged into the powersource while a phone is then connected to the Magic Jack, that is recommended so you dont need to have it connected to the computer while surfing the internet

This method is shown here:
graphic
That white box underneath can be disregarded you can plug directly into a the router but my point was for the magic jack in general.

Yes it will run little warm when plugged in using the AC source but if it is getting too hot that isnt normal. Thanks!

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I have my interbet service via Charter communications with a router box which has only one ethernet out which must be connecyed to my computer ethernet in for me to have internet service. Therefore I can not connect that outgoing ethernet directly to my magic jack and be on the internet. I have been using the USB with magicjack while I am on the internet which works fine.

I was just looking for a way to not have to disconnect and change when on and off the internet.

I did see a router box at walmart that had one incoming ethernet port with 4 outgoing ethernet ports but I am not sure this would work with Charter Comminications system

My MJ is not hot just warmer than I am used to.

Thanks,

Audrey

Yes that is what you will need a router with the extra 4 ports. It will provide you with what I mentioned above to make it work together and seamless. The router is normally a very straightforward setup out of the box. I hope I have answered your questions, if so please ACCEPT my answer if not please let me know.

TechGrant
TechGrant, System Administrator
TechGrant
TechGrant
TechGrant, System Administrator